Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#289658 Jul 15th, 2009 at 09:36 PM
OP Offline
First, new here. So, hello! This is my second year gardening, last year went pretty well. This year i dumped a bunch of mulch in the garden from some trees i chopped down. (not sure that was the greatest idea...)

However, i'm really here because i have a problem...

I have researched and researched and researched. However, no one disease appears to be the cause. It started with dark spots along the edges of the leaves. I didn't get on it fast enough and when I came back from a weekend trip to the folks' house things had progressed for the worse. the leaves had started curling up and there were black spots on some stems in addition to at least 30% of the leaves. black spots started on the end of the leaf and along the edges. Leaves also started folding up in half, slightly curling. No new growth occured since i got back from the weekend trip. (over the 4th)

In addition, some of the more mature tomatoes began developing spots on the tops. I pulled everything out because i didnt want the disease to spread to other tomatoes. One interesting thing, this appears to have only affected my Black Krim tomatoes. all others appear to be fine. (i have about 8 varieties)

I'm currently thinking its one of the following: bacterial canker, blight or tomatoe spotted wilt. i have not seen many bugs at all, except lady bugs in the garden. no tiny eggs, no little nothing. so that kind of ruled out curly top virus in my mind.

I will try to have a pic up shortly.

Thanks in advance!

OP Offline
update: here is a pic

[Linked Image]

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
could it be Rhizoctonia Fruit Rot? You can google a photo of advanced RFR. Just a guess.

Bestofour #289914 Jul 17th, 2009 at 07:43 PM
OP Offline
The rot on the fruit is more 'dimply' than what i am seeing in the pictures of RFR. I'll get some more photos soon. :( More stuff is dieing/not looking so good.

But thanks for the reply!

Hi SiameseGoldfish,

I had the exact same problems you described. I don't remember the brand or variety name of my tomato plant. Sorry that I am posting questions in this thread, but my tomato plant's symptoms look the same as yours', so if anyone responds, I will also get an answer :)

Also, I have not uploaded a picture of the tomatoes, a couple of them have fine black spots and/or small black circles that do not go beyond the skin and are not blossom end rots because they were spread/scattered further than that. Is there any hope in continuing to keep this plant? :(

Here are some pics:-
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by Nims; Jul 23rd, 2009 at 07:36 AM.
Nims #290583 Jul 23rd, 2009 at 08:38 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Nims...I wouldn't worry just yet, there are always blemished leaves on my tomatoes. Avoid getting water on the foliage, and if you use a foliar (liquid) feed, dillute it further than the instructions say.
Goldfish...have you seen any insects on the fruit? I get exactly that type of damage to my tomatoes from leaffooted bugs and green shield stinkbugs. I check frequently, flick the off into my hand, and crush them. They stink, so you might prefer using a tin can with water and a few drops of soap to flick them into.
I can't speak to the RFR as I'm not familiar with it.

dave
peppereater #290607 Jul 23rd, 2009 at 04:37 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Nims, I think you're tomatoes look good.

SiameseGoldfish, I hope someone comes along with your answer. I just don't know.

Bestofour #290664 Jul 24th, 2009 at 04:44 AM
Around here we are having problems with tomato plants because we has a cool and more than usual wet June, Many tomatoes are suffering "Late Blight." You might Google it to see if that is the problem you are also having. It starts in the leaves and the entire plant will wither away. It is fungal.

debnoel #290678 Jul 24th, 2009 at 07:39 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I have a plant that is withering but has continued to put out great tasting tomatoes so I haven't pulled it up.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image