Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#291025 Jul 28th, 2009 at 10:19 AM
LisaG Offline OP
OP Offline
I have over 50 tomato plants all showing the same problem. Came home from vacation to find spotted yellow and dead leaves all over the place. From what I can tell from other sites I'm looking at a bacterial speck problem. (Feel free to correct me on that!) It sounds like plowing under last years bad crop was a very bad idea, but what can I do now? Mostly the problem leaves and branches are the lower ones. The only advice I've seen is to water only at the base and in the morning - which will be a problem. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

LisaG #291316 Jul 31st, 2009 at 04:54 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
If you could post a photo, that would be helpful.

Meanwhile, my first thought-- and I'm NOT a tomato expert, they will be along shortly-- would be to clean things up as best you can as soon as you can. Get rid of the yellow/dead stuff. Do not compost the debris.

Without a photo, one other thing comes to mind. If you have 50 plants, my guess is that they are spaced closely, and that the lower stems and leaves are shaded by the growing plant. Without a lot of light, these stems are naturally going to wither & die. The dying tissue is susceptible to a number of nasty things that dying tissue can't "fight off." Identifying the secondary problem is only useful if the entire plant is in ill-health (so to speak). If you are seeing new growth on the plant, and if the fruit that's set is in good shape, you might be just seeing the normal growth of a tomato.

Clean up the dead stuff. Can't hurt.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #291318 Jul 31st, 2009 at 05:22 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
yepper. clean up the dead/yellow stuff and look for new growth. I guess you know now not to ever plow a bad crop into the soil your planning on growing in again. but what is done is done.
where are you? in some zones you can take cuttings from your spring/summer tomatoes and try for some fall tomatoes? that way your starting with a fresh plant in a different spot.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image