Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#291401 Aug 1st, 2009 at 11:45 AM
OP Offline
My rubber tree is getting so tall it falls over. I would like to prune it but I am concerned what that will do to the mother plant. Also how can I root the cuttings?

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
a ficus elastica can take a lot of pruning and recover quite well. I doubt you will kill it off easily. And the tip cuttings can and will root in moist soil.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
Thanks for the info. Will the rubber tree branch where I cut it? Do I need to worry about the new shape of the branches? Should I cut it low on the plant?
I am so needy!

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Cut off small bits until you see how it grows when you have finished. You will see any new growth and how it all works. Then see what you want to do next. And gain confidence. Cut to shape it overall.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I cut mine back every couple of years or so,, It' has reached 8 ft tall, I lop the top off and put it back in the soil of the same plant, Then I'll cut off other stocks just to have all the branches about the same height,, and also stick those cutting back into the soil. I have cut off as much as two - three feet at a time,, depending how tall it was and how awkward it would be for bring it in for the winter, Every Cutting I've ever placed back into the soil has always rooted just fine,
The branches I cut continue growing starting new branches off<( Below) the cut area.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Don't worry. If your rubber tree gets a little under the weather I am sure it will bounce back.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
OP Offline
Thanks for all the encouragement. I cut it yesterday and put the start w/root hormone into some peat. I cut it pretty low with an angle cut. Can't wait to see what it does. I love this site!

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I would watch the cutting in the peat,, Peat hold moisture pretty well,, I've never tried the peat with my cutting I always just put my cutting in the same soil (pot) as the mother plant and never had a problem .
The reason I always just put back in the same pot is because O wanted my rubber tree to grow fuller or to appear fuller anyway because it had gotten so tall and lanky lol

Keep us updated on how it (the cuttings) do okay?? grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
I have had good luck with a couple of other woody cuttings. I put it in a mason jar and just set it on the soil of the mother plant. I usually don't touch it till I can see the roots through the glass. The rubber tree has so much sap that it may be a lot different than the others. I am hopeful. I will certainly keep you posted. I am actually much more interest in the new growth at the cut site. Nice to get excited about my house plants again. Thanks for the posts.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
You will more likely see new growth just below the cut site,
Hey I've never thought of using mason jars for the cuttings or any cutting for that matter,, Thanks for the Idea! clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,926
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image