Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#290363 Jul 21st, 2009 at 06:32 AM
Spunky Offline OP
OP Offline
I purchased a calla lilly and while repotting it the tall flower and leaves broke off at the bottom, even with the dirt. There are still 9" shoots in the pot and the bulb that broke is unharmed. Will it survive and be okay? Is there something I should do other than sit it in the sun and water it? This is an indoor plant.

Spunky #291582 Aug 4th, 2009 at 08:53 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Wish I could tell you what to do to help your plant, but you're probably doing the best you can. When plants break we can only give it so much care and then wait it out to see what will happen.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Rosepetal #291590 Aug 4th, 2009 at 12:00 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I don't think i'm getting you. So a whole 'clump' of the plant broke off...roots and all? If that is the case, it'd be similar to 'dividing perennials.' Just repot the section that came off in another pot for a separate plant or plant both clumps in a bigger pot with some space between the two clumps for a bigger plant. Nurseries usually put more than one bulb (more correctly a 'corm')when they're forcing blooms for sale so the pot looks more full. Chances are, the pot had more than one corm. If the callas are coloured (not white), then they won't stand being constantly wet - let the pot dry out a bit (top inch). However, if the callas are white, you can keep the pot a bit more moist.

Eventually the flowers will fade. Continue to water regularly with balanced fertilizer (if you have some, if not that's ok). In a few weeks or so, the leaves will start yellowing - don't panic, it's supposed to. Once all the leaves have died, carefully dig up the corm, and store it dry for three months or until a bud starts to poke out. Then replant. Water thoroughly once, and only water when the pot has dried or when a shoot pokes above, whichever comes first.

Most people don't know callas (and gloxinias, cyclamens, etc.) can be saved so they just throw out the pot thinking they killed the plant...and they go buy a new one. It's natural for the plants to go dormant. The corms will get bigger after each season, and you will eventually be able to break each corm into smaller ones.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image