[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Bestofour #292288 Aug 13th, 2009 at 05:40 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. I would love to see some water sprinkling and sparkling out there. Other than my sprinklers that is.
I am awaiting some daylight so I can go out and saw off the pvc part of my broken pipe and take it with me when I go out today. Then I will go out and do my usual morning run around stuff before I take my daughter's car to the shop. Her 'service engine soon' light came on yesterday so I made an appointment for 8 this morning. My mechanic is right next to home depot so I will take my abused part in with me to get the replacement parts I need to fix it.
I hope both are easy fix-its. I want to get water back onto my hillsides again. The better irrigated that stuff is the easier to keep wildfires away.
After we are having another wonderful break in the weather. So I am hoping to get a lot done outside the next few days. More towards getting ready for fire season and the rainy season beyond.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #292300 Aug 13th, 2009 at 09:17 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
"sprinkled with sparkles" is enough of a tongue-twister that I'm not even gonna try to repeat it once, let alone five times fast. lol

We have rain threatening though nothing is falling yet. But any time now.

TV was annoying me this morning so I put in a DVD. I do that sometimes when the television seems too hyper.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #292313 Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:48 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Oh I forgot to mention that I am trying to enroll Maxi in the karate school in our town. It is very affordable & something he has always wanted to do. I was reluctant for a long time because of the spiritual component, but he said he'd be alright with that. It would be great if he could go after school on my dialysis days!

It is held at our town's Rec center, and we know those guys from when Maxi was much younger, and they are very good to the children there.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #292314 Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:13 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Karate is cool for kids, Merme. I hope Maxi excels.
So I went out at the break of dawn when I felt I could see well enough with my hacksaw. But the shoemaker's elves had been out and repaired the visibly broken part of the pipe for me. I will have to look them up and thank them. But when I turned the water back on to that area I could see that the pipe had also been broken further down too. So repairs are still in my future. I will also put an additional larger pipe over the whole thing in that area to help protect it from further abuse.
I got my daughter's car in and out of the garage too. So my day has been productive so far. It is cool for us for August. That is always so nice.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #292329 Aug 13th, 2009 at 01:44 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I hope the karate thing works out merme. I think he'll love it. and on the spiritual side of it you were talking about... kids can surprise us about what they can handle and not. something similar came up with me and my son a few weeks back. I can't remember the details, but as I was telling him about underling issues that might make him uncomfortable he completly finished my sentence along with the next few sentences I was gonna say. lol when you raise the children well, they are able to to sift through the worldly stuff as well as we can. OH....now I remember...!!! it was some prehistoric palentology documentary I had gotten at the library. they were presenting evolution as a fact and not as a theory. and using the word evolution, when the word adaptation (within a species) would be more correct.

I'm off for the day. Yippe! and have a short day tomorrow. I'm so thankful. I am one tired and sore duck already.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #292330 Aug 13th, 2009 at 01:55 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Maxi is walking over to the karate class this evening to observe & try it out for himself.

The Master Instructor is very, very nice!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #292333 Aug 13th, 2009 at 02:10 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
it's in walking distance....another big plus!

were getting some rain again today! clap

Cricket

cricket #292343 Aug 13th, 2009 at 03:31 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Yes, the karate classes are sponsored by the town's Rec Center (why they are low cost) and held at the middle school, which is nearby.

I like what you said about your son & the theory of evolution, Cricket. Maxi often seems much more aware of issues than I think he is!

I can't wait until he comes home tonight to tell me all about it. After the difficult day he had today, this will be a boost!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #292349 Aug 13th, 2009 at 04:13 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I hope he comes home bubbling, merme. he deserves it.

funny story...
my kidos have been doing chores each day since they've been home for the summer. this week I requested they concentrate on the dishes. one of them unload the dishwasher, and the other load. (keep in mind that no one wants to load, of course, cause that would mean actually having to rub on something, and then rinse it before it goes in, right?) I told them first come first serve. who ever gets to the dishwsher first gets to unload.... no rock paper scissors, no one day one person, the next the other...theres just been too many arguements doing it that way. so whoever unloads the other person loads. simple.
well, yesterday morning around 7:30 i'm quietly making a sandwich in the dark to take with me to work. I hear something behind me and theres my daughter giggling and unloading the dishwasher. haha I tell her way to go. good thinking, girly. well, this morning around 5am hubby hears noise's in the kitchen. he thinks it's an intruder. he comes out to investigate and theres our son unloading the dishwasher! lol big ole smile on his face cause he beat his sister to it!
I'm thinking just for fun I should have them HAND wash some dishes next week. lol

Cricket

cricket #292350 Aug 13th, 2009 at 04:18 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Very funny, Cricket!!!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

cricket #292351 Aug 13th, 2009 at 04:19 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I too hope Maxi comes home thrilled with his new endeavors, Merme.
That is a very funny classic story, Cricket. Keep it close for later on. I don't think I would punish with hand washing. Not if they are doing the tasks you set up for them.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #292353 Aug 13th, 2009 at 04:34 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
I don't think I would punish with hand washing. Not if they are doing the tasks you set up for them.

Oh, no. no punishment. they are doing a great job. we alternate weeks or days where they come up with their own chores. and some weeks I'll come up with things. it's more of a learning experience than anything else.

they would freak out if they actually DID have to hand wash. did any of us ever complain about having to hand wash dishes as a child????!!! I don't think so! lol they just don't know how easy they have it.

Cricket

cricket #292358 Aug 13th, 2009 at 04:59 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Oh, I am sure I complained, just not out loud where my mom could hear.
I still wash my dishes by hand. No dishwashers here. I try not to complain still.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
cricket #292371 Aug 13th, 2009 at 05:21 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by cricket
did any of us ever complain about having to hand wash dishes as a child????!!! I don't think so! lol they just don't know how easy they have it.

I KNOW there was no "aloud" complaining about dishes! One of us washed, one of us dried, and the other cleared the table swept & mopped the floor & took the trash out.

My mom was good about it, though. She told us that when she was a kid & she & her sisters had to do dishes, they played an awful game they called "Doses". The hardest working siblings in the kitchen would dream up a "Dose" of something edible (but not necessarily pleasant) and the slacker sibling would have to eat 1 Tablespoon of it! yikes

Once they were really mad at a sibling and gave her a tablespoon of bacon fat coated with sugar, so she tasted the sugar and thought they were being unusually kind and ate the whole spoon. Surprise!

My sisters and I would laugh -- there are many not so nice to eat plain things in a kitchen! Thankfully we cooperated with each other pretty well so the threat of "doses" wasn't very real!!!

You are right, Cricket. Hand washing is a skill that is useful in life. You don't have a dishwasher on a camping trip, for instance. Maxi started learning his way around the kitchen sink when he was little and liked to wash his plastic toys....

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #292374 Aug 13th, 2009 at 05:36 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am going to stretch out a bit. I'm achy for some reason.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #292375 Aug 13th, 2009 at 05:45 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Maxi just got home... he said the karate class was "awesome!" He thinks the Instructor is very good and rather funny too. He can't wait to start on September 3rd!!!

YAY! I'm so pleased for him!!!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #292380 Aug 13th, 2009 at 06:06 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I'm very Pleased for him! Karate is a good positive outlet, especially right now for Max.
Do they provide the gi's ?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #292402 Aug 13th, 2009 at 07:57 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by angelblossom
Do they provide the gi's ?

What are those, Diane?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #292407 Aug 13th, 2009 at 08:43 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Those are one name for the uniforms. When Jonni took karate through a parks and recs thing like Maxi's we had to purchase those separately. They did provide the consecutively colored belt though.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #292408 Aug 13th, 2009 at 08:57 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
The instructor told me that the school provides the first uniform, but he didn't call them GI's.

I'm am wiped out exhausted and still can't quite believe it isn't Friday yet! I've been asking that all week long!

Safe away home, O my palies, and sweet dreams to you all.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image