Rate Thread
#293727 Aug 25th, 2009 at 08:19 PM
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
I was at the museum with a few friends and they have a 2300 year old 7m+ scroll on display called the 'Book of the Dead.' And what it is, is a collecting of spells and charms (written in hieroglyphics) that the ancient Egyptians said to ensure deceased ones would pass onto the afterlife. Amazingly, you can still see the colours of the illustrations!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=116313&id=611400806&l=ce5d39568f

"The ROM’s seven metre-long scroll is an ancient Egyptian funerary text dating back to 320 B.C., the early Ptolemaic period. Written on papyrus and containing four coloured vignettes and many elegant line drawings, the lavish and beautifully executed book was acquired in Egypt in the early 20th century. Its iconography suggests that it came from Thebes (modern Luxor) and was written for a wealthy man named Amen-em-hat. Though a section of the papyrus had been on display in the Egyptian gallery for many years, it was not until 2006 that Dr. Irmtraut Munro, the director of a project established at the University of Bonn in Germany to catalogue all world-wide Books of the Dead, recognized that a rolled up scroll in storage was part of the same text. The scroll was so delicate that its outer layer had fragmented into countless pieces. This lead to a lengthy conservation process to restore much of the book to its former splendour."

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
WOW Kenny that is something!!! awesome pictures!!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup that's cool kenny. thank you for sharing. i'll be looking at it more.

#293740 Aug 25th, 2009 at 08:45 PM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
That's really cool! I love ancient history stuff, don't have much of that here, we're an artsy city instead.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Very cool pictures I looked at all of them earlier tonight on FB,, Looks like you had a great time there, and a very interesting place as well!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
My WHOLE family LOVES Ancient Egypt, so much so, that my son has EXACT copies of Egyptian Wall Art tattooed on his arms. My wife and I eagerly scan the TV everyday for any new shows about ancient Egypt and are DELIGHTED by the antics of Dr, Zahi Hawas. We have two Egyptian mummies on display here in Nashville, a human, and a cat. Even though I majored in Anthropology and Archeology in college, Egypt did NOT interest me at first, because I thought pretty much EVERYTHING there had been found, and they also kept such DETAILED personal accounts on LITERALLY every citizen of their empire, many of which are STILL perfectly preserved, that I thought there were no mysteries left. BOY WAS I WRONG! It now appears that 90% of the ancient Egyptian Empire has YET to be uncovered, and famous manuscripts long believed to be lost have been found in recently discovered tombs, including one famous long-lost manuscript of Homer, only fragments of which were known, until one COMPLETE copy was found buried with a Mummy in the last year. They NOW think they have discovered the tomb of Cleopatra and Marc Antony and are investigating further.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Mummy Cat (with feet of human Mummy showing)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Goodness, is this photo in the up and up, Thorny???

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Yep. These are Actual Egyptian Mummies, THOUSANDS of years old, on display at the Tennessee State Museum here in Nashville. I have visited these two ALL my life. They are like old friends or family Members.

[Linked Image]

The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Here is a picture of the human Mummy. Not the best quality. I took it with my OLD point-and-shoot in poor lighting and they don't allow flash photography in there.

MUMMY DEAREST
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
On the mummy I saw, you could still see hair on its scalp, and toes pointing through the linen at its feet. I should've taken a picture but somehow I kept on thinking 'would i want someone to take a picture of me a couple thousand of years later' lol I did see an alligator mummy which looked more like a burnt wiener than an alligator lol

[Linked Image]

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
even with flash, my hands were shaky (like always :()

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by kennyso
but somehow I kept on thinking 'would i want someone to take a picture of me a couple thousand of years later' lol

that's what both fascinates me and creeps me out about mummy's! zoink

we used to have property up in west texas....deer hunting property. a guy that simi-lived there on the ranch had a mummy-fied cat (house cat) in his garage. he was always showing that thing off. it was super creepy, as was he.

again with the fascination and the creepyness! why

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
I would LOVE for people to excavate and study my body in a couple of thousand years. I thought of having an ELABORATE tomb built for me, to give them something FUN to investigate!

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image