Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#293802 Aug 26th, 2009 at 03:19 PM
OP Offline
I am 31 years old live in sunny southern California; southern Riverside County. I grew up in a family that did a lot of gardening and has farm roots. I love to grow all sorts of plants ranging from orchids to tomatoes and everything in between. I would say I am a novice, although I do seem to have inherited my family's "greenthumb" gene. :wink: I hope to become a master gardener someday but for now I am content to attempt to grow a small organic vegetable garden. I seem to have some success but look forward to learning more and continuing to expand my base of knowledge so that I can in turn help others along the way. Not only is gardening fun and rewarding but it is the responsibility of humankind to learn sustainable home gardening practices and end our dependancies on the corporate "factory" farming.
Sorry I didn't mean to start in on a rant...I am just passionate about the earth, it happens to be my home. thumbup Well I look forward to getting to know some of you and learning a few things here, I hope I can share some positive vibes with all of you. Happy gardening everyone. flwr

Peace and Blessings.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, neighbor, from a little north of you. I don't even attempt food here (ground squirrels) but I do grow posies. And not always as organically as I should.You will learn a lot and can share much of what you know here.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
wavy welcome garden bear!

#293969 Aug 27th, 2009 at 09:34 PM
OP Offline
grin
Thanks for the welcome. I also have ground squirrels but my cat and dogs keep them in check, my main problem is my chickens. They eat almost anything! I have to fence and cage everything. What a pain!! rspb Darn chickens. Ohh Well they are fun. thumbup Anyways I only have had one problem so far this year. My squash have been falling off before maturing. I read a thread on the subject and have concluded that it may be due to heat and lack of constant water. I use old tires as raised planters and have now added a constant slow drip to my squash to see if that fixes my problems and also did a little hand pollination as well. prayers hopefully that will help. I am growing Zucchini and Mexican Squash if any one has any info on these varieties that I should know about let me know I have successfully grown Zucchini in the past but not the Mexican Squash. Thanks again. wavy

Peace and Blessings.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image