Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#293876 Aug 27th, 2009 at 09:13 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Morning...
Didn't sleep very well so got late start ... still feeling groggy after 2 cups of coffee.... now I need to gather the laundry and get busy--- will do it but slowly I think.... need to get back down in basement and finish up some cleaning up down there too- need to haul all the donation stuff up and the trash into big bags too- then need to go thru the other side and do what I can over there- not a lot I can but will spray more spider spray where I can.... thats Joe's exercise equipment side... treadill and weighbench- and the freezer and overflow pantry are down there too... and all the Christmas containers-and other holiday containers too- which reminds me I was the Halloween costume store the other day- it's open already... I find that really strange...
Well off to go laundry gathering..
Nana

[Linked Image]
#293877 Aug 27th, 2009 at 09:32 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by plantqueen
Gosh Tina, I don't know how you keep up with all that watering. But I suppose it is necessary so you just get it done. Keep cool today!!

Jessica, we pay a once a year right to our well water to the federal gov't. There is no meter or anything to restrict how much we use. The water mostly comes out of a horizontal well drilled into the spongy mountain behind us and goes into a tank, all just gravity fed. No pumping and not much pressure. We have a back up well with a second tank that is below and uses a pump. We do have to use elec on that one. But still no pressure worth speaking about.
I have been running water somewhere on my piece of land 24/7. I only have a few areas with semi permanent sprinkler systems. And those are not on timers or anything. So I have to go out and turn one off and another on often. The rest I have to move sprinklers around to one place or another. I am doing more watering now than I ever had before because of the shape my piece of property has fallen into the last couple of years.
Fall is our worst season for fires here and I am backed smack up to national forest land. Our autumn is hot, dry and extremely windy. That is when we make the news with fires that take out 100 homes here and 200 homes there. Fire can burn uphill and downhill and with the wind and even against 100mph gusts and create a competing, driving wind all of its own.
I am clearing as much underbrush and tree litter as much as I am allowed to in as wide a circle around my house to aid any firefighters in saving my structures. It could make all the difference in the world or none at all depending. In '03 we had a close call and watched them save our house from a little distance away. It blistered the paint on my house and burned a little bridge I had over a dry creek bed behind it. But the house and all else was good. We had another fire almost as close about 3 years ago. But that nat'l forest land right behind me (about 75 ft or less?) has a lot of fuel regrown on it to burn again.
I love living here. But it takes work and water.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #293879 Aug 27th, 2009 at 09:35 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I would be nervous about the fire situation too and would be doing exactly what you are. I'm glad to you have access to a water supply to do that. We have a well also but we don't pay a fee to the federal gov't. why Maybe because it is on our own property? Or maybe yours is too? why Well, I hope the fires stay far away from you this fall.

#293880 Aug 27th, 2009 at 10:27 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I've been on craigslist the last couple of days applyling for jobs. I've gotten two emails back regarding the same job. the wages they are willing to pay are very high for the work. in the e-mails they list no company name and want me to go online for an interview. sounds very suspicious to me! I even e-mailed them back after the first e-mail I rcvd specifically asking for a company name. then they write back saying how qualified I am and they urgently want me to go to this site for an interview. But, STILL no company name is mentioned anywhere. not even under the person's name. just a name and a title for a signature line.

were getting some thunder again this afternoon. hopefully we'll get another rain shower today!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #293881 Aug 27th, 2009 at 10:35 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
That would bother me, too, Cricket. I'm sure I would pass by that one. What kind of jobs are you looking for?
Jess, the well we use most of is on Federal national forest land. That is why we pay a fee for use. They won't allow any new wells or properties that have let their lease go into default are not renewed. But this one has been intact since 1918 or further back and is still a viable option. It beats paying a monthly amount by thousands.
The other well on site is on the property and a vertical well. No fees but it costs in electricity to pump it up where it needs to go.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #293883 Aug 27th, 2009 at 11:04 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Cricket....I would pass that by if it were me. Seems very suspicious!

Tina...we too have a vertical well that uses electric to run the pump. Sure beats paying for city water though. Where we live, the city utility bills are very expensive.

#293885 Aug 27th, 2009 at 12:03 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Gee Cindy, you are making me hungry....

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
#293886 Aug 27th, 2009 at 12:08 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts

Carol, last night after I washed the dishes I went to take out the garbage. I opened the door from the house to the garage and there sat a frog right in front of the door. I had to shoo it out of the garage so that I wouldn't trap it in when I closed the overhead doors. I almost turned the computer back on to tell you last night but I decided that it sounded like too much work. lol I went to bed and read for an hour or so and went to sleep. Of course I was tired when I got up this morning. Such is life.

lol such a little thing----but see how those little things make us feel connected some how. Thanks for making sure my little friend got outside, before you closed the garage doors. :wink:

Also thanks for teling me about it. thumbup

________

JunieGirl #293890 Aug 27th, 2009 at 12:56 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Originally Posted by JunieGirl

Carol, last night after I washed the dishes I went to take out the garbage. I opened the door from the house to the garage and there sat a frog right in front of the door. I had to shoo it out of the garage so that I wouldn't trap it in when I closed the overhead doors. I almost turned the computer back on to tell you last night but I decided that it sounded like too much work. lol I went to bed and read for an hour or so and went to sleep. Of course I was tired when I got up this morning. Such is life.

lol such a little thing----but see how those little things make us feel connected some how. Thanks for making sure my little friend got outside, before you closed the garage doors. :wink:

Also thanks for teling me about it. thumbup

I thought of you as soon as I saw the frog. He didn't want to go out either but I got him out which I'm sure he appreciated. We don't see many frogs at our house so I was surprised to see him. There was a little toad on the side of the house the other day. I have seen more in the last week than in the 4 years we have lived in our house. why

#293891 Aug 27th, 2009 at 12:59 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Carol is sending them to invade you, Jessica. But a nice benign invasion. And they eat little critters that are not too kind to our plants so are always welcome.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #293893 Aug 27th, 2009 at 01:49 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
Carol is sending them to invade you, Jessica. But a nice benign invasion. And they eat little critters that are not too kind to our plants so are always welcome.

:wink: clap

________

JunieGirl #293894 Aug 27th, 2009 at 01:57 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
They are definitely welcome at my house. I was just surprised to see them. Hopefully more show up! Thanks Carol!! lol

#293897 Aug 27th, 2009 at 02:16 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
you are most welcome.....

All my frogs/toads must be on holiday at your house, Jessica.

it seems I have not seen any around in the last few weeks. why

________

JunieGirl #293901 Aug 27th, 2009 at 03:15 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I laid me down for a nap a while ago. But I'm thinking of going back for another. It is hot. I dash out to move a sprinkler and dash back in again. But the sun gets me anyway.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #293904 Aug 27th, 2009 at 04:05 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Well, a couple of phone calls later and "I'm up, I'm up". Ted snuggled down with me for a tickle-fest. What a joy that is.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #293921 Aug 27th, 2009 at 04:53 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I'm up too, tina---I so wish I were not. But I guess I need to be able to go to sleep tonight, huh???

Tickle fests are such fun--- grin

________

JunieGirl #293924 Aug 27th, 2009 at 05:03 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Well, most 15 year old boys would not allow a mom to tickle. So I got lucky with Teddy.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #293935 Aug 27th, 2009 at 06:18 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I was reading back and I can't stop thinking about afgrey's meal! man, that sounds SO much better than my sloppy joe!

I officially have half of my garden weeded and ready for some fall planting! clap I have 5 tomato cuttings that are strong, lots of blooms on my yellow squash and zuch's, and my alaskan pea's are breaking the surface. I also have carrot and lettuce seedlings poking up through the soil in egg cartons inside. I'm not real experienced with fall/winter gardening. time will tell...

I DO love playing in the dirt!

Cricket

cricket #293940 Aug 27th, 2009 at 07:14 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yes I know what you mean about cindys meal---I have eaten and I am still hungry for that meal.

Very nice to hear about your garden. may I fall garden vicariously thru you ??? prayers

________

JunieGirl #293944 Aug 27th, 2009 at 07:52 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I guess I missed Cindy's meal someplace. why Gotta read back more.
Oh, I did miss it or I would have gone to join her. Sounds lovely.

Last edited by jonni13; Aug 27th, 2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: found the missing link

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #293957 Aug 27th, 2009 at 08:40 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
o.k.

I am distraught that there haven't been any real interesting posts about problems. I mean, come on, aren't there any newbies with aphids? or tomato horn worms? And where the heck is Jay (Peppereater)? Without problems, the problem solvers just don't show up.

So maybe I can begin. I am growing tobacco. And I have never in my life, on God's Green Earth, seen so many aphids. Astounding. But the plants don't seem to be suffering. Does anyone have experience with Nicotina:?

Last edited by Marica; Aug 27th, 2009 at 08:42 PM.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #293963 Aug 27th, 2009 at 08:54 PM
10k Posts
10k Posts
Originally Posted by Marica
o.k.

I am distraught that there haven't been any real interesting posts about problems.
docs I'll bet you can find thousands of posts you haven't read about bugs, slugs, rot and other types of cruddy things that happen in gardens over yonder in the Forum Archives.

Marica #293964 Aug 27th, 2009 at 08:56 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I have grown nicotiana for flowers before. I don't know if you are growing smoking baccy or one of the flowery ones. I have never had a huge problem with aphids here for some reason. And what they did decide to suck on didn't have time to suffer as I am quick with insecticidal soap. It is funny that you have aphids on that plant because nicotine sprays used to be a big thing to kill them off.
I think people are getting into fall garden mode and back to school mode. Peppereater Dave still pops in but if there aren't many questions in his field of expertise he doesn't always stay long.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #293968 Aug 27th, 2009 at 09:10 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
It looks like bedtime again for me. This is the first night all week I made it past 8:30, I think. But I did nothing or next to it outside today. It is way too hot to work out there in the hours I have free to work. 105* today and again for the next few days. Cooling down to mid-90'snext week. Maybe then.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #293973 Aug 28th, 2009 at 04:19 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Well, Good morning. It is Friday. Going to be a hot one here.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #293977 Aug 28th, 2009 at 06:10 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
'morning!

A couple of things I'd like to reply to...

Originally Posted by JunieGirl
Tickle fests are such fun--- grin

NOT when the tickler does it until the child can't breathe, and therefore cannot YELL to STOP! My dad did that when I was younger and I simply cannot stand tickling at all - not to me, or anyone I have the misfortune to watch. I will rescue any child who is being tickled against their wishes - it's a form of torture really!!! The recipient does not have any control over the situation. Sorry, but I feel VERY strongly about this!!!

Having said that... my dad was/is not a bad person - he just enjoyed the tickling ever so much more than I did!!!

o.k.
And where the heck is Jay (Peppereater)? Without problems, the problem solvers just don't show up.

Does anyone have experience with Nicotina:?

psssst - Marica - peppereater's name is Dave!
I have grown nicotiana and never got aphids on it. I usually grow it on my deck railing which gets full mid-day to setting sun.

Bill is correct - you wouldn't find planting problems here in the coffeehouse - that is better found in the "Plant pests and problems" forum.

Originally Posted by jonni13
It is way too hot to work out there in the hours I have free to work. 105* today and again for the next few days. Cooling down to mid-90'snext week. Maybe then.

Tina - I feel for you in that heat - really I do, after the 2 week spell we had of temps in the high 90's with about 200% humidity. BUT... today we are getting the effects of Tropical Storm Danny - our HIGH will only be 70 today!!! And rain all weekend - it wasn't supposed to start until late tonight, but it already started an hour ago at 8a.m.! I am so not ready for these cooler temps to begin. I still want summer!!! I have lots more gardening to do!

That said... I suppose it's a good thing that it's raining today and tomorrow, as I will be helping Amy pack up her stuff to go back to college on Sunday. I only hope that the rain stops on Sunday when we will need to carry everything into her dorm!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #293983 Aug 28th, 2009 at 06:58 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Tina....smoking baccy.....I got a good laugh out of that one. lol Thanks for that!

It is cool here too. High of 74 today and in the 60s for the weekend. A little cooler than I would like. We have a wedding to go to tomorrow and the weather isn't good for the dress I was planning on wearing. Guess I will have to change my outfit or put on a sweater.

#293992 Aug 28th, 2009 at 10:34 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I would love to swap you a little of my warm for a little of your cool, Jessica and Lynne. Then we can find a happy medium, maybe.
A tickle fest for Ted and I is very routine and something he often initiates. I also dislike tickle torture. But a little tickle is good. When Ted says "no" which is his best word, I listen. But my tickles are more threat of tickle than real tickle, too. It is the threat of those spidery fingers, that and anticipation, that most amuse him more than any actual touching. So mostly a little wrestling with a threat of a tickle, if that makes you feel better, Lynne. He has gotten good at entrapping my hands without causing me much pain in the process. Al of it is a learning process too. When he uses language I will really listen.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #293997 Aug 28th, 2009 at 11:06 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Afternoon, I have been busy today so far- gathered all the trash I had collected in the basement and got it up stairs and out in the big trash container so Joe can't go thru it for his "treasures" and I put the donations stuff in 2 bags too and will call them to come get it- sure wish I could give away the 2 large booster car seats but they are to old to be used now- so guess they will be trashed too - shame they cost so much!
I found enough trucks- cars .. other wheeled vehicles to fill a 50 gal rubbermaid container- this doesn't count the little matchbox size ones either- the boys don't really play with them so told my son to come get them next time he has time- his boys love cars and trucks so they will get more use out of them .. and our boys won't even miss them since they have been put away for the last 6 nonths... nice to get something accomplished.

Its time for lunch now- what to make? hmmmmmmmmmm any suggestions?
Well off to do something about it-

I am glad your Tickle sessions are just play too Tina- as a child I was subjected to tickle torture and hated the ones who did it and still do... I hated being touched for yrs because of it- and yes it can be a form of abuse... Ted is so lucky to have you for a Mom- one who listens to him when he does speak and even when he doesn't out loud.
Nana

[Linked Image]
Bill #294002 Aug 28th, 2009 at 12:57 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill
o.k.

I am distraught that there haven't been any real interesting posts about problems.
docs I'll bet you can find thousands of posts you haven't read about bugs, slugs, rot and other types of cruddy things that happen in gardens over yonder in the Forum Archives.

Yes, Bill. I may wander over there to see what can be uncovered. thanks!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #294005 Aug 28th, 2009 at 01:12 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I am home for the day. I am hot. And I am heading for my couch.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #294011 Aug 28th, 2009 at 03:07 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I too remember tickle tortures as a child. I hadn't thought about that in years though. I also got the blanket thrown over and held down, where I had to try and get out. it was a lot of fun....for a while. but, then as someone said with the tickling, it gets to a point of torture and panic.

I went out a while ago to continue on my weeding of the garden project. I noticed two of my tomato cuttings, that I was so proud of for making it this heat, has been eaten down by something! my lettuce seedlings, in the house still, are sprouting up like crazy. I thinned some today. they say lettuce doesn't transplant well, but I did it last year and they did fine. so, I'm trying it again?

so, I' curious too what kind of tobacci marica is growing? with the cost of cigerates I've wondered about growing some myself. but it's probablly a lot like hay. you gotta plant acres and acres of the stuff to make any kind of profit out of it.???? idk?

Cricket

cricket #294018 Aug 28th, 2009 at 04:34 PM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
The newspaper here had an article about people growing there own tobacco .. don't remember how much they said they had to grow to make it worth their while though- just skimmed it cause it didn't really intrest me a whole lot... I will stick to my flowers .
It is hot here today too... only hit 82* but it's humid too so feels sticky ... cold front is on its way so it will cool off again this weekend... may get some rain..
I put a pork roast in the oven for dinner - should have used the roaster oven and put it on the deck but sure smells good- its flavored with bacon and applewood seasoning, going to make some taters and asparagus to go with it... well off to go get the load of car towels off the line- gathered them from the garage today- think I will be moving stuff out and sweeping that mess out tomorrow...
Nana

[Linked Image]
Nana's15 #294022 Aug 28th, 2009 at 05:00 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I took a nice nap. I needed it as I got up at 3:30 this morning. But it is getting hotter inside as the sun is lowering out there. I could use some food but it is too hot to cook yet.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #294048 Aug 28th, 2009 at 07:18 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
does anyone ever hear from Patunia? I need her to work her magic on the rain gauge she gave me. It's been empty too long.

Bestofour #294050 Aug 28th, 2009 at 07:23 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I tried emailing her but the address I have is no longer viable. I'm thinking I need to snail mail her. If I can find that Addy.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #294059 Aug 28th, 2009 at 08:07 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Sheri - PLEASE take some of my rain - we are having downpours on and off all day today from Tropical Storm Danny. It's supposed to be like this all day tomorrow too - we've really had enough rain for one summer here!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tina #294060 Aug 28th, 2009 at 08:09 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I remember Patunia! what ever happened to her?

things are way to quiet.........

Cricket

cricket #294061 Aug 28th, 2009 at 08:15 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Sheri, I'll take half of that rain here, if you have it to spare???
And, we could use a lil' hurricane our way. but then again, I hate to say that... we've had a couple of serious ones in the past several years. maybe just a nice civilizaed tropical depression!

Cricket

cricket #294062 Aug 28th, 2009 at 08:16 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Patunia and her husband owned a business and worked together, He had several major strokes and she was still caring for him last I heard. That was shortly after John died and we were comparing our experiences.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image