Rate Thread
#294949 Sep 9th, 2009 at 07:09 AM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Looks like we found our farm in Mississippi! Our offer was accepted! Now there's just the slew of stuff to do to finish the deal, then a lot of stuff to do on the property. But one step at a time we are getting there. (And... we accepted an offer on our Cincinnati house. Whoohoo!!)

Details: 60 acres. 5 acre lake. livestock pond. house + several other buildings (including a sheep shearing shed). about 1/2 pasture 1/2 woodland.

Here's part of the lake
[Linked Image]

Here's the back of the house as seen from the porch of one of the other buildings
[Linked Image]

And here's the front of the house (not the prettiest exterior)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #294950 Sep 9th, 2009 at 07:11 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I'm so glad that you and John found something that will work for you! Looks like a wonderful place. Can't wait to see what you do with all that land!! Congrats!

#294951 Sep 9th, 2009 at 07:21 AM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Thanks! One thing for certain that I will have is an acre of sunflowers. clap

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #294952 Sep 9th, 2009 at 07:46 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Oh that will be beautiful! Can't wait to see!!

#294956 Sep 9th, 2009 at 11:11 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I love it. I love the weathered look of the farm house. Is the kitchen large enough for John? Got a fireplace big enough to roast an ox in? It really looks beautiful.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #294961 Sep 9th, 2009 at 12:01 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup i love it marica! Thank you for sharing!!!

Tina #294962 Sep 9th, 2009 at 12:01 PM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I love it! It looks huge, can't wait to see more.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
chermoni #294966 Sep 9th, 2009 at 12:29 PM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Ha ha!! Yes-- the kitchen is large enough. But here's the thing-- there will be an "industrial sized" kitchen for him, too. We will put it on one of the other buildings.

The main house is 3300 square feet. (I know-- it's crazy.) And there's another structure that's got to be at least 1500 sq. ft. It's used as a rec room but we will probably turn it into a guest house. And then there's the pool house. And another workshop. And then (it just gets crazier & crazier) there's the sheep shearing shed.

We got lucky!! But there is work to be done-- as you can see by the condition. None of that stuff is ours. It's been left behind. And I did not photograph the two bedrooms that the carpet has been ripped out of!

Here's the rec room building

[Linked Image]

The great room
[Linked Image]

The pool house
[Linked Image]

Even my own mother-- a very frugal woman, not at all ostentatious-- thinks we should keep the pool. We never fancied ourselves "pool people." It's so... crazy.

[Linked Image]

Marica #294968 Sep 9th, 2009 at 01:02 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Congrats on the farm! That guest house sounds amazing; guess where I'm planning my next vacation? lol are you going to keep the wood on the walls or are you going to drywall?

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #294970 Sep 9th, 2009 at 01:09 PM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Definitely keeping the wood. I think the great room is either western cedar or cypress. And you are welcome to come visit anything! You can help plant!!

How is school going by the way? I wrote you a big long post advising you in your studies. But something happened and it kicked me out.

[Linked Image]

Marica #294971 Sep 9th, 2009 at 01:29 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I love the interior too. No paint allowed!
And the indoor pool can be nice. And an awesome place to plant house plants all around so they stay humid when it isn't. And if you or John get old and decrepit it would be wonderful for low impact physical therapy. That being said, A pool can also be a pain to keep the chemicals right and things.
I see a lot of work in your future. But I also see a lot of love going into it too. I wish I was closer to help. It is exciting to see it 'raw'. Thank you so much for sharing.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #294972 Sep 9th, 2009 at 01:36 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
The rec room looks very nice!! I would keep the pool but yeah, I can imagine it would be a lot of work to keep up with.

Tina #294974 Sep 9th, 2009 at 01:59 PM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
I wish I was closer to help. It is exciting to see it 'raw'. Thank you so much for sharing.

With your energy-- I wish you were closer, too!!

[Linked Image]

Marica #294983 Sep 9th, 2009 at 02:46 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Why are you having an industrial kitchen?

I think we should all visit AFTER they get the pool up and running. What about that pool table. Is it in good shape? I like to play pool.

Bestofour #294984 Sep 9th, 2009 at 02:51 PM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
You have my dream house.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Marica #294990 Sep 9th, 2009 at 05:02 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Marica
Definitely keeping the wood. I think the great room is either western cedar or cypress. And you are welcome to come visit anything! You can help plant!!

How is school going by the way? I wrote you a big long post advising you in your studies. But something happened and it kicked me out.

Of course I'll help plant (I would offer to dig beds too but the lasagna method is just so much more convenient lol) I can also cook if you don't feel up to it ;) I'm not the 'party type' guy and don't drink, so getting drunk is one less thing I can worry about, and I really DO appreciate all the advice everyone's been giving me both here and on campus grin Have you had the chance to trek into the woods yet? I would imagine there aren't many properties (of this caliber) that are still wooded

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #294997 Sep 9th, 2009 at 06:35 PM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Replies:

Industrial kitchen: John's kitchen for canning, for cooking up huge pots of stocks, for making sausage, and processing deer, etc., and for professional cook, Kat, to play when she visits. Easy to hose down.

Visiting: I totally agree. Hold me to this. Once we get things up & running, we will invite the entire forum out! You can give me advise!!

Pool table: ?? I'll get back to you on this.

Dream house: Mine too! We just got back from another look. Couldn't get into the house (we're in the transition phase-- we won't close and get the keys for close to 6 weeks, but no one lives there) but did walk around a bit more. Dreams do come true. But they take work!

Trekking into the woods: Somewhat. But not really. Aerial photos help us get a sense of what's what. But you're right-- I won't really know the property until I walk it all. This is a perfect property for us, but there are many properties of this calibre. This was the one we could afford! It is perfect, though. We had a check list, and check, check, check.

Thanks for the comments. I really will invite you all out. John will have fun feeding you!!

[Linked Image]

Marica #294999 Sep 9th, 2009 at 07:01 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Marica
Originally Posted by jonni13
I wish I was closer to help. It is exciting to see it 'raw'. Thank you so much for sharing.

With your energy-- I wish you were closer, too!!

I need to tell you, it all sounds like so much more when I write it down. I only am good for a couple of hours a day or 3 tops in cooler weather. And I am driven by my need to avert possible fires. So I will go back to my lazy self when I am past wildfire season.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
chermoni #295026 Sep 10th, 2009 at 05:45 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
do you mention where in MS?

Bestofour #295036 Sep 10th, 2009 at 07:00 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
WOW !!! Marcia are you sure you did not buy a Hoilday Inn that came with some land and a lake-??? lol

that is really something indeed I am so happy for you both.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image