Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I am sure this is Virginia Creeper. But EVERYONE keeps arguing with me, family & strangers, that the plant is Poison Ivy. For starters it's leaves are in clusters of 5 not 3 so I was sure it was safe. "Leaves of 3, let it be." But the reply was that poisonous ivy/plants can also have 5 or more leaves. (Not sure if that's true. Is it?) Then they told me that it has berries so that also proves it's poisonous ivy. ...Don't most ivies produce berries or flower???

So in case I'm wrong, I've come for a second opinion. Is this not Virginia Creeper?

[Linked Image]

The berries they were concerned with.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Brand new leaves of same plant.
[Linked Image]

*Love to Laugh~Love to Live*
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I agree it is Virginia creeper. For more pictures and info type is Virginia creeper into the box called garden search on the upper right of the screen.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
Thanks for confirming the plants identity! I never noticed the garden search before, thanks for telling me about that. :)

*Love to Laugh~Love to Live*
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
It is Virginia Creeper. Poison ivy CAN have 5/7 leaves but it's rarely common enough to cause concern. Virginia Creeper can cause dermatitis/rash to some people but not to all (i think it's oxalic acid inside...same as diffenbachia). VC has blue berries while PI has clusters of white berries (looks like a bunch of grapes). FYI: many plants that are around us are in the same family as poison ivy but we just don't know it! Pistachio, cashew, mango, smokebush, and sumac!

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
My whole front porch is covered with VC on PURPOSE! It provides me with a NATURAL blind for bird photography. Every Winter, I tear down the old and by mid Summer it is back IN FULL!!!

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Here is a picture I took of a GIANT Poison Ivy vine slowly forcing its way into an open crypt at Mt. Olivet Cemetery, here in Nashville, TN

THE OPEN CRYPT
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
3k Posts
3k Posts
Do you think it would matter much if nobody cut them back? Guess the dead don't mind.

Makes for an interesting display - and good job on the photography, I might add.

When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image