Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#295361 Sep 14th, 2009 at 06:39 PM
OP Offline
hiya folks.

I have a peculiar kind of bug that i have noticed at the base of a pot and in the saucer. It is greyish and the larger ones move very very fast when i lift the pot. It does not seem to be on the plant at all or in the soil. (havent removed the plant from the pot yet to see if it is inside.) I have looked in a few books but did not find this bug. any one know what it is or if it is a pest?

This is in a succulent. (not sure of the name, it has flat leaves and woody stems). it was taken from a cutting over 3 years ago. It did sprout some new growth from the dirt about 2 years ago, but it really has not grown significantly since and i am wondering if this bug has anything to do with it.

Also- after moving this plant away from the others, I bought a new cactus and later noticed one of these bugs crawling around the rim of the pot. this cactus is sitting near where the other succulent used to be. Wondering if the bug is actually just partial to my wooden windowsill or the magazines or old records in the shelf.....

eeek. any ideas?
many thanks

rosie_jane #295376 Sep 14th, 2009 at 07:51 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am no kind of bug expert. Are you sure it is not plain silverfish? They are fast if my memory serves.
You can try here to maybe find your bug:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #295382 Sep 14th, 2009 at 09:46 PM
OP Offline
i dont think its a silverfish, but some are so small its really hard to tell.
Usually those are kinda long... this is more oval in shape... hmm..maybe they're jsut babies...

just incase, i will have to pull all my books out this weekend, cause silverfish families would be bad.

cool site though. thanks Tina.

if anyone else has any leads or thoughts about if it bad for my plants- let me know. :)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image