Rate Thread
#296423 Sep 30th, 2009 at 07:05 AM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
I hope this is a good place to put this post so folks see it.

Not infrequently, I see people here having difficulties with their internet service providers. And I know that some are on dial-up, and some folks out in the boonies may have satellite internet (horror of horrors). So I'd like to recommend a pretty low-cost alternative that has been working well for us for about a month: MiFi. [I know we're not supposed to promote companies here but I consider this a "public service"!]

[Linked Image]

MiFi is a little devise from Verison. Other companies may have something similar. It works where ever you can get Verizon wireless (cell) service. Here is the coverage map: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...T&lid=//global//plans//coverage+maps

Cost: The devise itself costs $150, we got a $50. Monthly service is $59.99 (+ tax) for 5gb of downloading. (This is a lot unless you watch a lot of movies or tv shows on line.)

What it is: The MiFi devise works in two modes. You can connect it (using a usb cable) to a computer and it functions like a modem. Or you can just turn it on without connecting it, and it functions like a wireless modem-- like WiFi. It will support up to five wireless devises (computers, printers, etc.).

So basically it is your own personal wireless hotspot. You can take it anywhere & have internet. This is the part I especially like about it. But the other thing is that out here in the country-- at home-- we have internet without messing with cable or DSL or satellite. For us at home, it's about as fast as DSL. But I've noticed it's faster in some other locations (where we've traveled). It's also secure.

And-- it can be plugged into an outlet or run off its battery. I get 2-3 hours on battery.

(And yes, I did just happen to have a pair of pruners on my desk!)

Last edited by Marica; Sep 30th, 2009 at 07:06 AM. Reason: forgot something

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #296428 Sep 30th, 2009 at 08:52 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Thanks for the info. I look up stuff all of the time looking for info and for prices. I can often get info but getting prices is a bear. And price is a big concern if I am even interested in the first place.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #296434 Sep 30th, 2009 at 11:15 AM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Well, it's a good service if you use the internet very sparsely... Myself I go through 5gb of transfer in a day lol...

Now, if you're on the internet all the time, or even do some occasional downloading, you're going to hit that limit pretty hard fairly fast...

And Satelite isn't that bad... And if you think about what's actually happening in the connection it's totally understandable...

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
I beg to differ. It's 5gb of download, not transfer.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #296450 Sep 30th, 2009 at 06:25 PM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
5gb per month of transfer is really quite low... I use upwards of 20gb per month... Once you have broadband you tend to use it when possible...

Now, if you're used to little downloads and non-constant computer usage, sure, 5gb/month may work for you

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Just for note,I use a lot of transfer each month; I use:
~8GB Transfer per day
~56GB Transfer per week
~200GB Transfer per month

So I don't think that it'd be worth it to me ;)

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
But you also do computers for a living kind of, James. I'm thinking for home use when I don't do a bunch of downloads, mifi might work. Or if I travel.
But right now I'm happy with my dsl. and it is cheaper by more than half.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #296533 Oct 1st, 2009 at 03:27 PM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
It may work for occasional usage, but I wouldn't trust the basic plan for normal everyday computer usage unless you know you're not going to use it... I'd imagine their overages may bite you in the tuccus.

Moderated by  Gremelin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image