Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Even in districts where music is a requirement they are cutting it out in most schools. Having the kids sing the National Anthem is considered fulfilling the requirement. So many things have fallen to budget cuts. Before and after school programs. A lot of clubs and some sports.
I have been out working this morning. Toting a four 1/2 gallon backpack sprayer up and down my hillsides. (Organic gardeners cover your ears). But the weather for the next week looks rainy and drizzly. And I fell behind in my labors with my cold. I have to finish clearing out my ditch lines. I am excited to see rain coming so early in our season. But I hope it stays moderate and doesn't dump on us.
I have more fall raking to do. So much to do so little time.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I want you to please get pictures so we can see all this progress. You've been working like a dog.

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I personally do not see how singing the National Anthem fulfills any requirement for a music program. Music is taught for it's own sake AND taught to enhance the student's science and math scores. What, did someone decide that singing one song repetitiously would magically trigger the math & science gene? why That's one of the biggest absurdities I've heard ... and in my lifetime, I've heard some fairly absurd stuff! lol

It just makes me CRAZY to hear of school cutbacks, just crazy!

I'm nibbling on fresh shrimp with tiny dabs of horseradish because I don't feel like mixing up any cocktail sauce. It is yumsville.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
This probably isn't the place to chat about raised beds but nothing else is going on in here so I'm gonna...

So Carol Jean, if you plant say 20 tomato plants and squash and so on you have to either have 1 gigantic raised bed or several small ones. I've always planted my stuff straight into the ground and have had to fight the weeds. The only reason I can see for changing my plan is to try and keep the weeds out. Have you found your raised beds to be weedless?

Sheri: back in the day at "the farm" I planted my garden straight into the ground. I used dried grass as mulch to keep down the weeds away it worked great--and it helped me keep the ground moist in the summer months,
BUT here at this house,(in the city haha rolz)
I needed the raised bed to help with drainage as the land back there is low.---When I was well, I had normal issues with weeds--because Rod did not do any lasagna gardenting when he made the raised bed for me--in HIS mind, there was no need to remove the grass, as most of it would die off--well had I not of gotten sick he would have likley been right---but right now the weeds are reeking havoc in my veggie garden.--Next spring I am going to have to address that problem---BUt this fall yet I am going to have to take care of my asperagus bed---(it is there too)--my flower bed is not problem at all---when I am watering or deadheading I may pull out a few weeds but nothing that one needs to get upset about.

To answer your question directly--I think if you properly prepared the ground under your raised beds, before making them, there would be infinetly less weeds, possibley even NO weeds---not to mention you would not be bending down so low.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
#296535 - Yesterday at 05:39 PM (in this Coffeehouse)

Tina did you see the above listed post??--it is to you.

________

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
I personally do not see how singing the National Anthem fulfills any requirement for a music program. Music is taught for it's own sake AND taught to enhance the student's science and math scores. [quote]

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition,

And we'll all stay Fr
ee.

Just chimnin' in.

Last edited by Marica; Oct 2nd, 2009 at 05:23 PM.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Man-- I just realized I've been upgraded to "great" gardener. Cool.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Marica
[quote]

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition,

And we'll all stay Fr
ee.

Just chimnin' in.

here here---I concur.....

________

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
#296535 - Yesterday at 05:39 PM (in this Coffeehouse)

Tina did you see the above listed post??--it is to you.

No Carol, I missed it altogether. Until now. Thank you for the info. I actually have a welder that owes me money I won't let him pay back. I've been getting him to do little bits of stuff for me like moving my splitters around. He may be able to help me with this project. I hadn't thought of him before for this really.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Hi everyone. Seems like I haven't been in here in forever. Work has been crazy busy and by the time I get home and get dinner done I don't have anything left except to zone out on games. I'm cooking dinner late tonight so I have some time to sit between laundry loads. Here's my day today, just to give you an idea.

At 5:45am I got up and got ready to meet with my friend and run around the lake (we graduated our running program today!) Got home a little after 7, made some coffee and talked with Aros for a bit before getting ready to go to my appointment. Left the house again around 8:15, stopped for gas, went to my appointment, which lasted an hour. Then I had to drive to another part of the city to get my allergy shots. Came home around 11:15, did the dishes, started the laundry, and made myself something to eat. Finished up my grocery list and then made Aros something to eat before heading out again. Went to store number one, which was packed because they are having a store closing sale. Went to the bank to make a deposit and had to park and go inside because they don't have the drive through open. Went to store number 2 only to realize that I didn't need to get anything there after all. Went to store number 3 and picked up a few things before going to store number 4 and doing the bulk of my grocery shopping. Came home, brought in the groceries and put them away, switched out laundry loads, and thawed some chicken for dinner. No wonder my feet hurt. The girls have soccer practice tonight so I don't have to make dinner until they come home which is around 7. I do need to make my dinner but I'm procrastinating and pretending that my stomach is singing to me to comfort me.

I saw that a few people have been sick, there was something going around here a couple weeks ago. Both girls got sick and we had a bunch of call-ins at work. So far I have yet to catch anything. I hope it stays that way. I did really good last year and I still smoked then and didn't exercise. I'm coming up on 6th months since quitting. Can't believe it's been that long already. Well, I'll see you all later. Don't know if I'll be back tonight or not. I might be asleep or playing a video game. We'll see.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I know I read the first part of your post and am wondering how I missed the part geared towards me. I must have been distracted and thought I'd finished it when I turned my attention back.
By Marica: "Man-- I just realized I've been upgraded to "great" gardener. Cool."
Congratulations!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
You do keep yourself busy, Cheryl. We will enjoy you when we do see you. Don't catch whatever it is. It is no fun to be sick.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Cheryl, do you two work from home?

Great Gardner, Marica I whole heartedly agree.

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I wish, Sheri. Aros is unemployed at the moment. Trying to get a plumbing business going. I work full time in a nursing home. I work Mon-Thur and every other Sun.

I've been gardening for a few years now and still feel like the beginner. Marica, I still dream of living in your house.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Cheryl, my husband is a plumber.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
cheryl, good to see you. you made me tired though, just talking about your day! my day was busy, but not as much. just the usual, to work, home, and back to work.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
cheryl, good to see you. you made me tired though, just talking about your day! my day was busy, but not as much. just the usual, to work, home, and back to work.
i must be tireder than i thought touched

i wrote that backwards. should have been home, work, and home again.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Tina: Glad you finally saw the post. Good luck and keep us posted.

Marica--yes Congratualtions----your really movin' on!!!

Cheryl--yes my dear you are one busy busy girl---when you have time you need to come and tell us how the wedding plans are coming along.

Sheri, Jiffy---hi wavy

________

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Coming in to turn out my lights. Good night all.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Yes mine are going out soon too. When my towels come out of the dryer, I am headed to bed.

Tomorrow I am off to my youngest daughter's for a party she is having for her DH, Chris. So I will not be around tomorrow.

Sleep well everyone... wavy

________

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Thanks for the congrats, everyone! I must tell you, I do not feel like a gardener. Back in late August when Kat got married, all of us "girls" had our nails done. Mind you, I think paying money to have your nails done is a colossal waste of $$, but it was fun. Anyway-- you may recall that we moved the week after the wedding into a little rental place. That was one month ago & my nails are longer and still look great (except for chipped polish). But what kind of gardener has nice nails? It's almost embarrassing. I take that back. It IS embarrassing.

Here're some updates on the farm. First off-- Cheryl,, you are welcome to come and help paint, tile floors, etc! The dream needs a lot of work!!

We've been out to the property several times, but not inside the buildings. We didn't want to ask the bank (the owner) to let us have a key until we had secured financing. So yesterday was the first time I'd been inside for several weeks. It is really starting to hit me that it may be a bit of a challenge arranging furniture. In Cincinnati, we had "rooms". Here, except for the bedrooms & kitchen, there is just one big great room. It will be interesting to see how this all works out. I know rugs are the way to do it, but we don't have any rugs.

I am also coming to realize that where I want to put the giant veggie garden needs some serious work. It's red clay, and although the pastures are lush, this space isn't so much. But I love the space. If this were a regular sized garden, I'd just get a ton of bagged manure (literally), compost, leaves, etc., and just spade it all in & let it over winter. One thing I've been contemplating is sowing annual rye as a green manure. Thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Busy week ahead. John's been out of town but comes home today. We need to go to the farm tomorrow. Tuesday we head to Cincinnati. Wednesday & Thursday the movers pack us. Friday we close on the house there. Then back to Mississippi. The next Monday our stuff is delivered. The bank is letting us store our stuff in the house before we close-- this was a huge relief. Maybe I'll break some of these nails in all the hubub.

[Linked Image]

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Wow, Things are moving along for you now. Winter or annual rye in a place that doesn't really freeze can become a permanent weed situation. Call your local extension and see what they recommend first. You will have tons of cardboard boxes from your unpacking. That should give you a wonderful start on a lasagna bed. I love the idea of a ton or two of manure if a dump truck can reach your area. You are in time for your own fall leaves to add to it all.
The great room? Hmmm, how about empty except for a couple of bumper cars or go carts. I'm a different kind of interior designer.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Marcia ~ Congratulations although you do have much work and many miles to travel yet! Sure wish Maxi and I could be there to help!!

Tomorrow is Maxi's birthday and today we are getting ready.

Because he is so grown up now, last night I got him a Student Account through PayPal which comes with a debit card. I like it because the parent puts funds into the account and sets up parameters for spending -- such as daily limits and transaction amounts -- and gets notified of transactions. If the kid is away from home & has a real emergency, the parent can instantly get money to him (with no fee) & it is easier to use than Western Union or bank transfers. It is a terrific way for a kid to learn money management with parental safeguards built right in.

Right now he is studying Energy in Science. I was looking at his text book this morning and asked him if there was any information inside about how a tired parent might get more energy? I need a nap already!

lol

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
That does sound like a good gift, Merme. Kudos for thinking of it.
I have been out with my shovel and rake so far cleaning out some ditch line and leveling some steps in my hillside where the dirt came down on them. I want to plant some seeds above those steps to help hold some of that soil back and just because I like flowers. I came in for a break and to see if my kids were moving yet.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Good thought about the weed situation. Yes-- I will get myself to the extension office. I think I will also go hang out at the hardware store or where ever the old guys meet. Old guys know a lot & they like "sharing" their knowledge. An old guy in Cincinnati informed me that I wouldn't be able to grow any veggies in my front yard. Humph. He was full of knowledge. He was right about ... maybe ... 25% of the time. (Apologies to any "old guys" here.)

Happy birthday to Maxi. Today is Kat's 25th birthday! Or should I say-- 25 years ago this morning, I gave birth!!

[Linked Image]

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
And aren't you glad you are not giving birth again this morning, Marica. I am, for you and for me.
I have gotten a lot done today and it is early yet. Switching up shovel work with rake work so I don't get seized up muscle-wise. I am done with the shovel so I will mix up weed-eater with rake now. If we end up getting more than the predicted drizzle tomorrow or in the near future I want my ditches to be ready to handle it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Happy Birthday to Kat! If you lived closer, Marica, I would be there everyday to help.

Interesting gift idea, Merme. Didn't know paypal did any of that. The girls are mostly pretty good at money management. Generally they don't like to spend it. At least until this year. Now they're teens, they're parents refuse to buy them ridiculously priced clothes and shoes that all their friends are wearing, so they spent their own money to buy the brands that help them fit in with their friends. They are in middle school right now so I understand that fitting in and not being different is very important. I hope that they can learn to be individuals and their friends will still be their friends even if they don't have a pair of uggs.

Other than making breakfast (probably around lunch time, lol), finishing laundry, and making dinner later, I have nothing to do today. I can sit around and relax and be lazy for most of the day. I think I need to go make some coffee though. Haven't had any of that yet.

Wedding plans are coming along. I mailed my invitations on Thursday, the place where I'm having it called to let me know that they got the deposit and I'm all set there. Now I just need more money for the the girls dresses, the boys suits, flowers, and cake.

1k Posts
1k Posts
I'm going fishing today. I'm going to fish for bluegills,crappie,catfish,carp,and bass. I'm confident that I will catch quite a few fish.Last week I caught my first largemouth bass.It was a beautiful 12 inch fish.I released it. I got my tackle ready and am now waiting for my dad to come home from work.

Waiting for fall...
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I have never eaten any of those fish, in fact I don't even know if they are all edible. Have a great time!

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by chermoni
I have never eaten any of those fish, in fact I don't even know if they are all edible. Have a great time!
they are all edible, except maybe the carp. don't know about that.

have a great time enrique. i'm glad you like to fish. it is a good, healthy hobby. and a way to feed yourself.

cheryl, your day sounds nice. just chillin' out. that is what i wanted for my day but that isn't going to happen. i started it off wrong when i started cleaning the kitchen before breakfast rolz

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I think it is nap time. I raked until my shoulders began to complain. I know when to stop.
After a while I am going to start cooking. My neighbor died and after the funeral on Monday they are having a potluck reception in our local restaurant. And it is finally cool enough to crank up my oven. First time all summer. I am pretty excited to have those nice smells drifting around my house.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
A nap sounds pretty good right now. I should have gotten plenty of sleep but I've not been getting enough all week and I'm feeling drowsy after eating.

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I am on fire watch now. There is one in my canyon in just the last couple hours. So far it seems to be burning NW and I am to the SW. But it doesn't make me feel warm and cozy.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Hope it stays away from you or that it rains good for you.

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
I am on fire watch now. There is one in my canyon in just the last couple hours. So far it seems to be burning NW and I am to the SW. But it doesn't make me feel warm and cozy.

Hope it stays away from you. And it had probably spoiled your feelings about your oven cooking. Too bad. I'm sorry.

[Linked Image]

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
It is about 6 1/2 miles from me and I am feeling pretty good about the direction it is going. At least what I can see of it. Some on the backside of my mountain could sneak up on us.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Yippee!. Dirt under my nails. That's all I have to say.

[Linked Image]

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Marica
Yippee!. Dirt under my nails. That's all I have to say.
sounds good to me! i was reading about your great room.

folks i know who have rooms like that use furniture to define "rooms"

usually using a table (end or behind the sofa type) or sofa/couch/love seat to make the boundaries. it works well. i'll have to get a picture of my daughter's and show you.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
oh, and tina? stay safe kissie

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Marica, look in some magazines like Better Homes and Garden to get ideas about what to do with your big room.

We went to see Informant with Matt Damon this afternoon. It's pretty good.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image