Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#296790 Oct 5th, 2009 at 03:54 PM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
I picked the rest of my tomatos (still green) because it's been cold and frost is around the corner. Our season is short so I always end up with green tomatoes.
From past years, green tomato's brought indoors just aren't the same as vine ripened, infact to my liking they aren't even suitable for canning, once they turn red they are too acidic for me. I don't even know why I bother, yet I still would like to know of any new ideas to ripen them to taste atleast close to the vine ripened one..the brown paper bag just doesn't change much at all, they are full of acid. Should I ripen them in the cool or in the warmth?
Does anyone have any recipes for green tomatos, besides pickling them with onions?

DaisyM #296792 Oct 5th, 2009 at 04:41 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
2 thoughts.

1, pull up the whole plant and hang it roots up and let them continue to ripen on the vine, in a sunny place. (i've heard that works better, but don't know, i live in an area with a very long growing season)

and

2, fried green tomatoes. best in the world.

#296795 Oct 5th, 2009 at 05:05 PM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
2 thoughts.

1, pull up the whole plant and hang it roots up and let them continue to ripen on the vine, in a sunny place. (i've heard that works better, but don't know, i live in an area with a very long growing season)

and

2, fried green tomatoes. best in the world.

3. Green Tomato Salsa
See Recipe Here

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #296798 Oct 5th, 2009 at 06:02 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Last year I dug up a couple of tomato plants (early girl) with fruits still hanging. Potted them up and put them in my bathroom window. The fruits ripened. The plant set some new flowers & fruit-- like 1-2 per month while inside. But at least the green tomatoes that were hanging ripened naturally.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #296808 Oct 5th, 2009 at 06:53 PM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the ideas, now I've heard of fried green tomatoes, but don't think I've ever made them as far as I can remember, tell me, how do I make the best fried green tomatoes?

Marcia, too late for potting as I already removed them from the branch, my branches this year were like vines, long long long so that wouldn't have worked.

DaisyM #296843 Oct 6th, 2009 at 06:55 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by DaisyM
Thanks for the ideas, now I've heard of fried green tomatoes, but don't think I've ever made them as far as I can remember, tell me, how do I make the best fried green tomatoes?

well cut them more than 1/8 an ich but a less than 1/4 inch--the thinner the slice teh better it will be.

here is waht I do then. I dip them in milk--(you could dip them in a milk & egg wash if you wish).
then I sprinkle them with lemon pepper instead of salt & pepper.
what this does is makes them taste tart like a new spring green tomato would taste when dried.
Now I dip them in flour and set them aside & repeat until I have enough to make a layer batch in my frying pan.

when I fry them I use shortening, not oil. but you can use either. I melt about 1/4 inch shortening and when it just begins to smoke I put them in fry on one side, turn & fry on the other. when they are the clor I like, I remove them & place them on paper towel that I have placed on top of a brown paper sack to drain them.
you may sprinkle a bit more regular salt if desired.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #296854 Oct 6th, 2009 at 09:04 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Fried green tomatoes- have you seen the movie- it's one of the best! Your recipe also sounds great.

Eternity
stevie_g #296857 Oct 6th, 2009 at 10:03 PM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks I will give it a try. LoL, if we could get a green tomato to taste like a french fry that would be great.

I seen the movie years ago but can't remember anything much about it.

DaisyM #296865 Oct 7th, 2009 at 07:26 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Yep, I saw the movie when it came out---I loved it.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image