Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#298310 Oct 20th, 2009 at 11:04 AM
OP Offline
Help! I planted red seed potatoes and the plants were great. When I dig the potatoes they look great with nice skins, etc. But, when I peel them, most have brown spots all through. A few are just fine. Is this a problem with watering -- I used a drip system; with not burying them deep enough -- I did both trench and mound; or is it a disease. Thanks for any help!

Daisyduke #298316 Oct 20th, 2009 at 12:23 PM
You are not te only one.
If you read down to "Help" some of us had the same problem this year and still not sure where the problem is. Maybe the seeds

Spearo #298408 Oct 21st, 2009 at 07:31 AM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
See info about Root Knot Nematodes below.

Potato Nematodes /U.C. Davis IPM
SYMPTOMS

The symptoms described below are indicative of a nematode problem, but are not diagnostic because they could result from other causes as well. In general, aboveground symptoms include stunted, yellowed, chlorotic, and/or dead plants. Infected plants are likely to wilt earlier under temperature or moisture stress. Infestations may occur without causing any aboveground symptoms.

Feeding by root knot nematode causes characteristic swellings, called galls, on roots. Galls caused by Meloidogyne chitwoodi are small and difficult to see. On heavily infested plants, egg masses appear as tiny round bumps on feeder roots. Meloidogyne hapla causes small distinct galls with proliferation of lateral roots around these galls. Meloidogyne incognita causes more pronounced galls. All three species of Meloidogyne and Pratylenchus penetrans cause bumps or warts on the surface of infected tubers. However, those caused by M. hapla are less distinct. Brown spots develop inside tubers, mostly in the outer 0.25 inch (6 mm), which are visible when a thin layer of tuber is peeled off. Lesion nematodes cause reddish brown lesions on the roots that turn black later. Stubby root nematodes cause numerous short and stunted (stubby) roots, and corky ringspot symptoms on tubers.

Article about brown spots in potatoes from Oregon State University Extension.

Symptoms: Root-knot nematode infection rarely causes above-ground symptoms in potatoes. External symptoms of M. chitwoodi are distinct pimple-like bumps and lumps on tubers. M. hapla usually produces a more general swelling on the tuber or none at all. Both species produce brown spots within the vascular ring, within 0.25 inch of the tuber surface. Brown spots are about 0.04 inch (1 mm) in diameter and are evident only when the female nematode begins egg production. The female's white body and egg sac containing eggs (egg mass) produced outside the body often can be seen with a hand lens in the center of the brown spot. Unless several nematodes are in the same area, the spots' borders are distinct. The spots should not be confused with symptoms of heat necrosis, which produces spots of similar size but more diffused. Tubers infected with late season infection of M. chitwoodi may not show visible external or internal symptoms at harvest but may develop them in storage.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #298518 Oct 23rd, 2009 at 07:36 AM
Papito, thank you very much. Now I need to find what to use in my garden to tate care the problem.

Spearo #298742 Oct 27th, 2009 at 09:43 AM
Well.. I have looked hard to find a solution to the potatoe problem for next years crop and I have been told by many experts that there is NONE,crop rotation is just about the only option for the regular home garden.

Spearo #298748 Oct 27th, 2009 at 11:52 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Marigolds have been proven to repel nematodes and inhibit reproduction. Depending on which study you read, some varieties are more effective than others, and marigolds may best be used as a cover crop before planting a food crop. I googled the words marigold nematode and found thousands of entries. Here is just one. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/NG045
Soil solarization with plastic can also help.

Last edited by peppereater; Oct 27th, 2009 at 11:54 AM.

dave
peppereater #299005 Oct 30th, 2009 at 09:46 AM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Uhhh....I bought a bunch of taters from someone to last me all winter...and when I peel them these little brown spots like you are describing all of a sudden become visible.
Is it OK to eat these taters? ...or should I throw them away? why

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Spearo #299178 Nov 1st, 2009 at 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Spearo
You are not the only one.
If you read down to "Help" some of us had the same problem this year and still not sure where the problem is. Maybe the seeds

afgreyparrot #299181 Nov 1st, 2009 at 10:53 AM
I think for the price of potatoes today..and the price you may have to pay if you get sick even if you kill the thing when cooking it, I say no. I will not plant them next year at all but will try the following year for sure!

Spearo #299204 Nov 1st, 2009 at 07:18 PM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Thanks...I will throw them out. thumbup

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
afgreyparrot #301233 Dec 6th, 2009 at 12:07 PM
Well..it has been over a month since my post above and I since then I have been looking at potatoes of all colors in supermarkets etc. Most of the potatoes that I have seen for sale have showed the same problem that me and many others here have experinced so I am still very confuse. On one hand we know there is a problem and on the other hand potatoes are sold to the public in the same condition. Maybe the thinkings is that the bug or worm in this case will die when potatoes are cooked and so there is no problem but I just need to get used to the idea of eating potatoes with butter and micro worms for dinner.

Spearo #301273 Dec 7th, 2009 at 11:36 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
As I understand it, it would be illegal to sell produce with obvious disease or pest issues. Perhaps even potatoes moreso than many crops, because of the potential for outbreaks such as the great potato blight in Ireland years ago. Add to that the fact that potatoes are in the same family as tomatoes, tobacco, other major cash crops, the risk to the economy and the food supply would be serious.
A diseased product could contaminate an entire state or states because of any number of potential vectors...someone throwing out potatoes or skins, someone handling potatoes, and then going to an agricultural job, someone intentionally planting them...
potatoes and other crops also go through quality inspections at the point of origin, no grower would risk conmsumer backlash, no distributor, either.
If there is something on the potato skins, it undoubtedly is the normal trait of the varieties you've observed, not pest or disease damage.

dave
peppereater #301380 Dec 9th, 2009 at 06:50 PM
The problem is that these "quality inspections" at times are done in other contries and even when they're done here at home they're done by people employed by the growers and we all know what that means. From time to time we all hear about contaminated this and that and people going to the hospitals very sick even dying.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image