Just for fun, I'm trying to figure out what age I should consider my philodendron to be. Ten or eleven years ago, my friend's grandmother made a cutting from her philodendron (which has been blooming, which is part of why I'm trying to work this out). I became the new plant's ward when my friend moved out of the country. Last year, both because Phila was so incredibly root bound and growing rather inconveniently sideways, I used the aerial roots to start a new root base and in February cut the stalk off the old root base and repotted her (she's been very happy with this drastic measure, by the way). I figure the oldest remaining part of the plant now is six or seven years (the base of the stalk that's now buried deep in the new pot). The new root system is only about a year old, the oldest leaves, however, are four years. What age does that make my plant now? I have this dream, prompted by how happy Phila's been this year, that I may be able to encourage her to bloom in the next couple of years or so.