Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#299573 Nov 7th, 2009 at 10:20 AM
dietzzd Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi, I have a rubber plant in my house that gets a lot of indirect light next to my other plants, but in the past 6 months since I've had it, it has slowly withered down to nothing. Most of the growth on the bottom half has fallen off with no new growth and the stems seem to be brown and dried up. However, there is healthy growth at the top which has now recently started to wilt and droop. How can I save my poor plant!???
Thanks.
Zach

dietzzd #299605 Nov 7th, 2009 at 11:47 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Sounds like possible spider mites,, I would examine all the plants around it. Look for 'Fine' webbing. I don't know where you live but if it's still warm out I'd take it outside and examine the soil as well.
On the underside of the leaves if there are tiny black specs tap the leaf with your hand under it and see if the spec drop off into your hand, if so it's spider mites.
I use alcohol and wipe down leaves and stems to get rid of them.
You can cut Rubber tree stems and stick the cuttings back into the soil and it will root,, as well as where you cut it, new growth will begin below the cutting. but make sure you're soil is good.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #299852 Nov 10th, 2009 at 06:47 AM
dietzzd Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks. I looked on the leaves and saw no spider mites or discolorations....maybe I just need to prune way down and start over? How should my soil look for this?

dietzzd #299876 Nov 10th, 2009 at 06:33 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I usually use a good potting soil with horticulture sand,, OR 1/2 potting soil and 1/2 cactus soil,, dark soil is a good sign it's rich soil that allows drainage. thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,932
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image