Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#301367 Dec 9th, 2009 at 02:42 PM
OP Offline
My grandmother went on a plant-passing-out-spree the other day, and I ended up with a couple of nice ones I suppose. Two of which are unknown to me, and the third was an aloe plant. However when she gave it to me it was very small and looked somewhat dilapidated. I put it in a small pot because of it's size, and it has been in my window sill. I keep the temperature at about 75 even when I'm away, and it has an alright amount of sunlight. HOWEVER, it is very droopy. The leaves don't stand at all, but they are long enough to hang over the edge of the pot just a bit. Upon examining the plant I noticed that there were bubbles in the leaves...I'm not sure if that's normal because I really don't know too much about the plant, but it's really bothering me because I want it to grow so badly! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, I also might add that I just used dirt from my father's garden for the soil so it's not exactly drained properly, and I don't know if this could be part of the problem as well.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, aloes need fast draining soil and don't water until the top inch or so is dry. You can just add some sand to what you have going and it should be good. If you are keeping it in a pot, a clay one is the better idea than any other type. They breathe better for aloes. The light conditions you are providing sound good.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #301375 Dec 9th, 2009 at 05:16 PM
OP Offline
Well thanks, so I should just remove it from the soil and then mix in the sand and put it back in?
Also, I have it in a small glass pot I think but I can probably get a hold of a clay one, I just figured the small glass would work for now since it's such a small plant but I'll definitely give it some better living conditions as far as soil and potting.
So do you think the drainage is what's causing the plant to take a somewhat withered appearance? It isn't exactly shriveled because then it would be dry I suppose, and it is definitely filled with liquid. I just wish it would get better, it actually kinda makes me sad.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I think it is too much liquid causing the issues.
There is a lot of info Here

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,889
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image