Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#302402 Jan 5th, 2010 at 12:44 AM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Can someone point me in the right direction? I am trying to learn idea what items I need to buy seeds for and which foods I can can cut to make new plants (like how you can cut a clove of garlic and plant it to make a new garlic plant.) I hope I am making sense.. I had heard that like you could use the sprout(eye) looking thing on potatoes and things like, but I don't know if it is true... Thanks guys!
PS. Yes, I feel silly for asking blush..

[Linked Image]
~Believing in God for a miracle~

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
Eva #302406 Jan 5th, 2010 at 04:54 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I hope you'll get plenty of answers here, because I can't think at the moment, woke up way too early.
Yes, you can cut a potato into several sections, each with one or more eyes. Dry them for at least 4 or 5 days and you can plant them. Some say not to use storebought potatoes, but they will work fine.
You can't cut carrots, onions, most anything else that way.
You can take stem cuttings of certain vines and trees...with grapes, you should be able to cut from Concord and a few others, but some require a specific rootstock to graft to.
You can multiply pepper and tomato plants by taking cuttings, but that's only helpful in long season areas.

dave
peppereater #302408 Jan 5th, 2010 at 05:12 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Oh, by the way, Eva, anything you need seed for, feel free to post a list in the seed exchange. You'll find that many of us will freely share our seeds or trade for any you have extras of. Here is the seed/cuttings exchange:
//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/29
You might also post a list of vegetables you'd like right here.

dave
peppereater #302422 Jan 5th, 2010 at 04:18 PM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh cool! Thanks for the info! I am so excited about planting again!!!! I had my first garden last year and it was SOOOOO fun!!! I only grew a couple of things cause I am kind of learning as I go.. I will check out the link... What a cool idea!

[Linked Image]

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
peppereater #302533 Jan 6th, 2010 at 10:37 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by peppereater
I hope you'll get plenty of answers here, because I can't think at the moment, woke up way too early.
Yes, you can cut a potato into several sections, each with one or more eyes. Dry them for at least 4 or 5 days and you can plant them. Some say not to use storebought potatoes, but they will work fine.

Eva---I cut potatoes to plant all the time. when you cut them just make sure you have at least 2 eyes to a piece--the more the better of course. let them dry for awhile, at least an hour or so. (I never left them for 4-5 days I mine always came up fine. Of course i t depends on the weather--the idea is to not plant 'wet' potaotes.
work up your soil until it is lose & then take a pointed hoe & pull a trench down a row. drop a piece of potato, cut side down, about every 12 inches. cover each row from both sides of the trench to form a good mounded row. when you are done you will have a trench between each row of potatoes. That is good. when the potaotes sprout, cover them with straw to keep weeds down. I used to first put down dried grass in the trenches to help keep down weeds between the rows. once I even put down news paper inbetween & under the straw. DO NOT cover up the sprouts though.

I have often used old store bought potatoes (ones with sprouted eyes) to finish up a short row of my seed potatoes. The DID work well.

good luck

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #302552 Jan 7th, 2010 at 10:52 AM
and don't forger to rotate your crop of potatoes every few years.

Spearo #302557 Jan 7th, 2010 at 11:50 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
thanks Spearo, I forgot to mention that very important part.

I made a graph of my garden every year, so that the next year I could make sure that I rotated all my crops--well all but my asperagus bed, and my blackberries. grin

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #302838 Jan 11th, 2010 at 01:46 PM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh cool thanks!!!! I am so excited!!!!

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image