Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#305608 Feb 11th, 2010 at 03:39 PM
OP Offline
Hi, I have a big chunk of ginger that was given to me. I hung it in my kitchen & now it has a great big green sprout on the side of it. The sprout has a ball shape at the bottom, sort of like a gladiola bulb. Should I remove the sprout from the main root? The root is very large & will take a big pot to plant it in if I leave it intact.
I also was given a small ginger root from Hawaii that was already sprouted & I planted it using the instructions it came with. After planting it. nothing has happened for nearly 6 weeks. I carefully dug it up, & saw that the original sprout had died off & a tiny new one is starting. I know nothing about growing or starting ginger, or keeping it alive. I was hoping only for an unusual plant with nice blooms.
I've looked at a couple of web sites on how to plant & grow ginger but none of them mentioned whether or not to cut off the sprout or "bulb" from the main root.
Hope someone can help!

bb
bluebird #305850 Feb 12th, 2010 at 09:40 AM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Hedychium [Ginger lily plant]

Info about growing ginger lily plant here.

After planting it. nothing has happened for nearly 6 weeks. I carefully dug it up, & saw that the original sprout had died off & a tiny new one is starting. I know nothing about growing or starting ginger, or keeping it alive.
That's okay. I have the white and yellow ginger lily plants growing in containers.

Ginger lily plants:[from Western Garden Book]

H.coccineum...red flowers
H.coronarium...white flowers [white ginger, butterfly lily, garland flower]
H.flavescens...yellow flowers
H.densiflorum...orange-yellow flowers
H.flavum...yellow or orange flowers
H.gardnerianum...pure yellow flowers with red stamens [KAHILI GINGER]
H.GREENEI...orange-red flowers
H.spicatum acuminatum...purple flowers in loose spikes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zingiber officinale [Ginger Root]
Info about growing ginger root here.

Should I remove the sprout from the main root? The root is very large & will take a big pot to plant it in if I leave it intact.

What I usually l do is to leave the portion of the ginger root with the sprout for planting and remove or break off the rest of the ginger roots.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #308314 Feb 24th, 2010 at 03:22 PM
OP Offline
Than you papito. I'm watching the one from Hawaii, hoping it will eventually get above the soil. The big root, I'm leaving in tact as you suggested and will plant it with the new shoots "bulb" down in the soil. I don't see others growing on the main root.
Thanks again!

bb

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image