Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#309539 Mar 8th, 2010 at 04:31 PM
bobey Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone, I went to the montreal botanical garden. It was really nice their. At the end I found a boutic and they had lithops. I bought two. I wanted to know if it was ok to water them once a week or should I water them less? Also, should I repot them?

bobey #309541 Mar 8th, 2010 at 04:36 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hmmm, not sure but I do remember something along the lines of treating them like a cactus.. are they very big?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I found this info for you...

Lithops~Living Stones:

Water/Fertilizer: Allow soil to dry completely between infrequent, light waterings (approximately every three weeks), during the summer dormant periods, (June though August). Water may be given more frequently the rest of the year, however, ALWAYS allow soil to fully dry out between waterings. The amount of time it takes for drying varies, depending on your humidity, light, temperatures, etc., you must use your judgment. Fertilize monthly while growing, at half-strength. No Fertilizer while dormant. A general, all-purpose, household fertilizer work just fine.

Temperature/Light: These plants do best in average to warm temperatures (65-90 degrees F) and in bright light, possibly near a south or east facing window.

Soil: Must be well-draining; also be sure the pot used has drain holes. For dry climates, use one part sand, one part forest or bark mulch and two parts pumice (or perlite). In more humid climates, less sand is recommended.

bobey Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks.
I did not know that their dormant period was in june and august. I thaught it was during witnter time.

bobey Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by tamara
Hmmm, not sure but I do remember something along the lines of treating them like a cactus.. are they very big?

Mine are small.

I need help with somethig else. When to water? I went all over on internet and their was all sorts of different info. Is once a month fine?

Your info was helpfull. But, on different sites they talk about different dormant periods. I am all mixed up why nervous

Last edited by bobey; Mar 10th, 2010 at 03:09 PM.
bobey #309664 Mar 10th, 2010 at 03:11 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Not quite sure, I water my baby cactus once every two weeks in the growing season.....and I water it just by sitting it in a small tray of water for a few minutes than take it out.

bobey Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok well I water my catus every sunday. Would this be to much? They are exposed to direct sun light for about 4 hours a day. They don't seem to have any overwatering sign. I will try to do my best with lithops.

bobey #309668 Mar 10th, 2010 at 03:25 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Shouldn't be too much, they hold more water than a cactus.

bobey Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay well I guess I will give them water every three weeks and give them water every two months during dormant periods.

Thankyou for your help!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,890
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image