Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#310108 Mar 16th, 2010 at 05:21 AM
Renny Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello, my kids & I planted seeds in peat pots a few weeks back & while the tomatoes seem to be doing very well, all of the other seedlings are very leggy, some have even broken from the weight of the leaves on the spindly stems. I have them elevated under fluorescent lights...is there any way to salvage the leggy seedlings? We have broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage & brussels sprouts. I would appreciate any help!

Renny
Renny #310110 Mar 16th, 2010 at 05:33 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi and welcome Renny..

You might be able to salvage some if they haven't gotten to leggy...the lack of strong light causes them to grow so fast that they weaken, you have to have a light breeze to strengthen their base...you can fan them several times a day with a book or magazine(I know it sounds strange but it works)...just fan the book over them back and forth(easy though)...to help them sway a little.

They grow to fast trying to reach for light...keep your lights a few inches above them to slow them down.

Hopefully some can be saved.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #310111 Mar 16th, 2010 at 05:41 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Please re-read Renny...I made a change..I just realized you have 'florescent lighting'.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #310116 Mar 16th, 2010 at 06:18 AM
Renny Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, Tamara, I have them a few inches below the lights on a growing shelf, but I will try the fanning! I will be re-potting the tomatoes maybe tomorrow & I will be burying the stems, but I have no idea how to handle the other plants, if I bury their stems, will they just rot?

Renny
Renny #310117 Mar 16th, 2010 at 06:24 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Renny. The broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage & brussels sprouts should not be planted deeper. You are right, stem rot probably would take them. But those are cool weather crops and can survive a light frost or several. Is there a place ready for them out in your garden? They may be ready for some sunshine. Harden them off by offering them some sun each day and plant out soon. Either in pots until the garden plots are ready or into the ground.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #310118 Mar 16th, 2010 at 06:51 AM
Renny Offline OP
OP Offline
Tina,
I've never started seeds & these plants just look too wimpy to survive outside right now, but maybe not? It looks as if it may storm today here, so I will use the fan, then work on setting them out soon. The seedlings are right at 3 weeks old, I said 'several' in my original post, it seems like they've been in my kitchen forever, but I just went back on the calender!! Thanks.

Renny

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image