Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#310301 Mar 18th, 2010 at 05:05 PM
OP Offline
ok my boyfriend fell in love with this beautiful cornplant,so of caorse we bought it,we have had it almost 6 months,and well it's not so pretty anymore,
i don't know if i should repot it,um water it more,just give up on it,,but the ends are turning all brown

kimberlin
cornplant101 #310334 Mar 19th, 2010 at 05:27 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Don't repot it...you'll stress it out more. You have to much salts or fluoride in your water...you might need to use distilled water to water it instead, that is usually the cause for brown edges. Don't over water either, once or twice a week should be fine.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #310712 Mar 23rd, 2010 at 02:29 PM
OP Offline
ok i will try botteled water,but what do i do about the browning leaves should i cut them off,what about lighting,i gave to over head plant growing lights,because i live down stairs in a finished basement with minamal sun light

kimberlin
Sunflowers #310713 Mar 23rd, 2010 at 02:34 PM
OP Offline
should i never repot it,it has been in the same pot since i got it,its pretty big,but i will try the bottled water,what should i do with the browning leaves,should i cut them off,,and how much light does it nee, i live down stairs in a finished basement with very lil real sun light,i have to grow lights,but maybe thats two much,,

thank you for your help

kimberlin
cornplant101 #310717 Mar 23rd, 2010 at 03:11 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I believe that's draecena marginata you're talking about, let me try a search on that or corn plant in the help section...draecena (if I've spelled that right) needs moderate light, if it's done okay so far under the grow lights it's probably adequate. My first thought was overwatering, Draecena should not be overwatered, so somewhat dry soil is ideal, but tamara has a good point about salts from the water...you could also be getting too much fertilizer if you have fertilized at all.
It would not hurt to gently pull at the plant to see if the roots have completely grown through the soil, when it's somewhat dry, the entire rootball will come free from the pot if it's rootbound, or just look at the drainage holes and see if there are significant roots coming through, that could indicate a need to repot or simply root prune. In my opinion, unless the browning is significant, the plant is not so overly stressed that it could not be rootpruned and/or repotted, plants you purchase are often at the verge of being rootbound. Draecenas can tolerate this better than some plants, though.
Let me try the search function to see what it might offer other than that.

dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image