Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#311336 Mar 29th, 2010 at 07:50 AM
jonesy Offline OP
OP Offline
Last August I noticed that the top 12 inches of one of my hemlock trees was empty of needles. A week or two later I noticed that about the next six inches was empty, too.
The needles stopped shedding when winter came.
I couldn't see any insects, the tree is about 9 feet tall.

I bought some SEVIN and plan to spray it on and under the tree every 3-4 weeks when spring comes.

Does anyone else have this problem?
I'd love suggestions.

I thought about some type of oil (would vegetable oil harm the tree?) like I use for ticks on my dog, or just using lots of soapy water under the tree for larvae.

do you think I should combine some of these methods?
I hate to lose the tree and I have about nine more that are so far unaffected, but for how long?

jonesy #311339 Mar 29th, 2010 at 08:41 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
I don't have any hemlocks but I do spray my apple trees with a horticultural oil..it's a green product and quite cheap. I know veggie oil works to keep ants off the bird feeders but I wouldn't take a chance of smothering the tree with it.

I did lose a pine tree with those symptoms years ago...I could never figure out what caused it. Hope someone else can help you soon.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
jonesy Offline OP
OP Offline
Tamara, thank you. I will try the horticultural oil (Do they sell it at Lowe'?) on my fruit trees and on my hemlocks. If you have time to let me know when to start spraying that would help, (- common-sense wise, like before/after it buds,etc. and do you repeat it during the summer?)

Also, do you use a heavy duty sprayer or can I use a little spray bottle (like I used to use for ironing or for my hair.) the tops of all of my trees can be reached by standing on a step stool.

do you spray both ground and branches or just let the stuff drift to the ground where it falls?

I am sorry if I am asking things I should be looking up myself.

jonesy #311429 Mar 30th, 2010 at 06:20 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
They sell it at any hardware store(it's just like a refined mineral oil)....You really should spray them while they are dormant...not budding.. and in the early morning and not when there is a chance of a frost or freeze. I spray mine in early spring and late fall. Twice a year.

I use a one gallon special sprayer because my trees are high and hard to get at, it just works easier...you don't want to spray yourself. But you can use any kind of spray...it is mixed with water to dilute it.

You spray the tree fully, everywhere and leave it drip/wind dry.

Horticultural oil is not toxic and it kills the insects by smothering them as the spray dries on the pest....making it safe to use.

And don't be sorry about asking questions, that's what this place is all about...pretty soon you'll be answering questions also thumbup

Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'm going to send you a private message about the exact brand I use...you'll see a little envelope flashing on your forum page...just click on it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image