Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#312987 Apr 13th, 2010 at 04:55 PM
OP Offline
Ok ..last year the garden did'nt do so well. The ground is a clay base but has been worked with what ever I can throw in it from the yard. Tons of worms and always stays fairly wet since there's a inground water head right next to it..free water neener

This year I changed the landscape up with terracing and raise the beds some for better drainage. In the fall I turn a bunch if leaves in ,when I terraced it and mix dirt from every end so each end had the same stuff.

Im starting a compost bin to feed the beds to make better soil as I go , it's just a matter of training yourself to collect those golden nutriets to get started.

That has that covered for now ,,Plant placement is my wonder.
Where ,where, oh - boy !!

Here's my setting ..
The house (pic) faces south and gets most of the sun. Water head is in the grass center of the house and fans 180*, leaving the bed up by the house dry..I have to water that and it gets pretty dry/hot. This thing also shoots it's spray about knee high at the gardens edge...corn took a beating when young.
...thinking of changing the head nervous

I plan on putting the compost bin down in the bottom corner...nothing grew very well there w/ all the tree roots.

Along the west side it gets shaded more as the summer moves along cause of all the grasses and pine trees.

I have had the best luck w/ maters by the windmill(left front corner of pic), but was thinking climbing cucs for easy trellising.

Here's my list of fresh tender delights.
mater's, cuc's ,zuc's,taters (container),peppers, beans(green),dill,and onions .
...maybe a few corn stalks too.
I plan on decorating the area with flower planters and tons of marigolds..bug repelant.

Now this is what im thinking ...what you think ?... should I put the cucs up by the house?and leave the maters be in there spot? Should I shade the tater bins?..maybe up in the corner on the other side?

rick

[Linked Image]

Don't like the weather in Michigan?..wait 30 sec.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
O.k. first question before I comment...I see in the pics you shared how you had sunflowers and corn planted behind the veggie plots, do they shade the areas?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
OP Offline
Yes late afternoon, I think I had everything to close though...corn really didn't do well...plus it was the 2nd yr in that spot.
When the corn was there it stayed wet from it being shaded so much.

The sunflowers are re-seeds from last year..and the yr before ...most of the time I don't plant any unless I want some in a certain spot.Iv'e only bought 1 pak of seed in 7yrs and just collect the seeds for re-planting and for the birds. Im going to limit the amount of them in the garden area this year for space but keep a few for the bee's so they can do there thing :wink:.

Here's a pic of it when it was young and the one you are refering to so the rest know what your saying.

rick

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Corn like crowding but they need good air circulation also. I'd plant them in a seperate spot where they have their own room without shading other things.

Your garden plan looks good, I like the idea of planting potato bins in the dry spot because you'll have to water a bin more anyway.

You know you can also buy cucumber seeds that grow in small bushes...they are hybrids for using in patio pots really, but I plant them in the ground. Less space is needed that way thumbup

OP Offline
Where waiting for the garden centers to open so we can go get the seeds and seedlings. We are still getting frost here at night ...heck in michigan we could still get snow, I was riding my snowmobile last yr on april 15th ..whoohoo grin

Maybe put the corn up by the house and move the cucs to the side w/ the peppers and beans, keep the maters where they were ...hmmmm

I have a few little spots in the yard I can stuff some stuff in too.... I need to get my potters out and see what I have .

Zuc's, cuc's ,peppers and taters are the main crops were wanting the most .

I want to try making some pickles if we get enough ...miss those crock pickles :wink:

This year I'll be trimming the grasses to keep them under control, but still keep the wall effect. There is some dead stuff tied up there too I can eliminate to open it up some . I made that so the kids can't short cut through the yard.... I hate that when they just wander through madd

rick

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Originally Posted by snowfarmer
Where waiting for the garden centers to open so we can go get the seeds and seedlings. We are still getting frost here at night ...heck in michigan we could still get snow, I was riding my snowmobile last yr on april 15th ..whoohoo grin

you think you get snow...you haven't seen where I live...mind you this is the nicest winter we've had in over 100 years. We get snow in May and frosts until the third week of June.

We usually get snow right up to our roof line..this was two years ago...in February.

[Linked Image]
By the time the winter ended...the snow was up beyond the roof.

I know the discouragement of not having a reliable garden season as well.

OP Offline
Update... dug out the potters , had some bigger ones then I thought thumbup

Wife came by the garden center(real farm market) and it's open clap
Now to go get the stuff to get started.

Think this is it bow
[Linked Image]

Tamara; don't tease me with that snow now boohoo lol
We had a crappy winter this year ,but still had some fun in the white gold. ...I'll have to share the fun one day :wink:

rick

Last edited by snowfarmer; Apr 14th, 2010 at 05:15 PM.

Tamara and snow farmer i live in NY so i too have snow threw april.

opalrose #314943 Apr 26th, 2010 at 04:21 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Looks good...It'll be nice to see pics on your progress.

Yes opalrose, it seems we are cursed....

Well Rick. You've inspired me. I grew up in Arkansas with a lot of acreage and currently live in town with a small back yard in North Carolina. I didn't think I had enough room but seeing your plan might make me change my mind. Now what to do with the 2 Labrador front tine tillers?

Jonathan Clark

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,917
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image