Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I haven't vegetable gardened since I was a kid. Now in my forties am planting ton's of veggies and melons. I already have tons of flowers around the house, and am experimenting with the seeds that come off of the plants. I'm having some success, but I know there is so much to learn. I have lots of questions, but I will try this one. How do I keep the deer and other varmitts out of the corn? Fence? This is the greatest site, and hoping it helps in my success.

Last edited by Wild Willy; Mar 26th, 2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: moved
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi and welcome.... wavy

Honestly, I think fencing is the only way to keep deer and moose away...no type of spray or deterrent works on them.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts

i went to walmart i got coyote urine last year its in the sporting goods aisle ......i also got some of the spongie tree branch hangers and put them around the garden and just redipped them several times during the year .......but watch out it smells to high heaven and wear rubber gloves i spilled some and i swear i washed my hands 20 times before i used lemon juice to finally get them not so stinky ......

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I heard on a garden show this morning that shavings of Irish spring soap around the garden really works.

OP Offline
will the irish spring keep away the coons too, or is my fence gonna have to be of a tight web?

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
it's worth a try.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
I used to have a 'hooting owl' that was motion activated...worked like a charm on the neighbors cats...It wore out, I'm still looking for another just like it thumbup

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
I heard on a garden show this morning that shavings of Irish Spring soap around the garden really works.

sheri---this works for Deer??? how about rabbits??? I am either having trouble with one or the other or both-why-hard to tell..although Rod thinks its deer.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
digginit #313167 Apr 14th, 2010 at 10:20 PM
OP Offline
I have large area of japanese knotwood. I have dug and sifted the soil in my yard for days. I have checked into other web sites to find out what it is, and the best way is chemically. The roots go very deep, and the odds are that by digging I have left a few rhizomes regardless of how thorough I have been. Any ideas, I have read past posts and there wasn't many solutions.

FYI - Feel free to ask any groomer to save fur for your garden, and they'll save it for you and make sure that trash doesn't get mixed in. We do this frequently for people and don't charge for it as it would just be thrown out anyway.

Natural mama of 2 barefooters. :)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image