Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hey everyone. I haven't been here in a really long time but I'm back now and looking for opinions. :)

I'm just now building my garden. I've waited this long because I've been waiting on my Calalilys to pop up. But for some reason they haven't shown up this year. This is the first year they haven't come back. :( One of the things I bought for my garden this year is a bag of 12 bulbs of Freesia, Single Mix. Should I group the bulbs together in one hole or should I space them out?

So far, this is what I have for my garden:

Freesia, Amaryllis Belladonna, *Clematis Florida seiboldii, Tumpet Vine Campsis Flava, Gloriosa Rothschildiana Climbing Hydrangea Petriolaris*. (The last four plants, within the astrix, are ones I bought at Sam's Club. Which were sold in groups.) I also have 2 Canna's waiting to be placed. All of those are waiting for me to decide where to put them. Already in my garden I have, 1 rose tree (which is not in it's best shape) and a small gathering of yellow daylillys.

Then I have 2 seed packets of Columbine and Blanketflower. Those 2, I don't know if I'll sow them in my garden or wait. I intended to start them inside a while ago. :/ I'm also planning on heading out to the store to pick up a few annuals.

Sorry for the long post. It wasn't at all intended.

*Love to Laugh~Love to Live*
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Hi, H-ferret.
The ones in the asterisks are all climbing plants. Do you have a fence or trellises with those in mind?
On the freesias and other small bulbs you can dig a single hole if you would like and plant several in like groups of 3 or so about an inch apart within the hole. Not much more than 3 times the depth of the bulbs though.
It sounds like you are going to have an awesome color show in your yard. Enjoy it and share how things work out for you too, please.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
They each came with a small little trellis (4 trellises in total). Each trellis is only 2' tall and 7 1/2" wide. So I wonder if those will be big enough to accommodate their plants?

Yes I do love color! grin Two of the plants were marked as fragrant as well, which I'm equally excited about! I'm still trying to decide where to place eveything. As I'm still very much an amateur, I hope it turns out okay. And yes, definitely, as the garden matures, I'll post some pictures.

I looked up some pics of the amaryllis and I'm confused. Some of the pics show the plant as a stalk/stick sticking out of the ground, supporting the flowers at top and having absolutely no foliage. Where other pics seem to dictate the plant does indeed have foliage like that of a lily. Sooo... If the plants are simply stalks with supported flowers atop, should I plant some sort of foliage around the base? (Like around my rose Tree, I usually have some Dusty Millers.)

*Love to Laugh~Love to Live*
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
True amaryllis is a pink one, probably, sticking out of the ground with just a stalk. They get strap type leaves here in winter/spring. The leaves die back and in summer the stalk comes up from bare ground and they bloom. They smell heavenly.
The ones commonly called amaryllis are really hippeastrum. They show leaves first and then when the stalks come up the leaves are still there. Do you know the color of yours? If it is anything but pink it will be the type with leaves and flowers at the same time.
And none of those little trellis' will contain all of the vining 'plant' you are going to end up with.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Ah, i just read back and saw amaryllis belladonna. That is the bare, pink one. We call them naked ladies around here.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Hi! wavy

I wanted to point out to you that Daylilies can become very intrusive, sorta like a week run amok, so you may certainly want to keep your eye on them. That "small gathering" is gonna end up quite a crowd, otherwise!

Um, are you sure you have the trellis turned the right way? Are you sure it isn't supposed to be 7 1/2 feet tall by 2 feet wide? That would make more sense for the plants which came with it.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image