Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#314250 Apr 23rd, 2010 at 11:21 AM
bigmama Offline OP
OP Offline
I need some help getting rid of fire ants in potatos plants and around my tomatoes. I thought I got rid of the pesty little things but got stung again yesterday. If anyone knows what to do about them let me know. Thanks

Last edited by bigmama; Apr 23rd, 2010 at 11:46 AM.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi and welcome..

Can you please remove your e-mail address, for your safety and the forum rules also thumbup Thank you.

Well I don't have fire-ants here but I'll try help, we have regular ones. If you can find the nest, you should buy 'ant grits' to sprinkle over them but do not apply that in the garden area..

I use orange oil to spray around my plants when the ants get bad. I've also bought little ant traps that seem to work as well.

Someone else will be along shortly hopefully to help you more.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
bigmama Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry email is removed Thanks

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
As Tamara said, what you want is a bait type product so they will ingest it and take it back to the nest.

Green Light makes many insect killing products, but as far as I know only one is safe for a vegetable garden and that is Fire Ant Killer Granules2. It is a water activated product which you broadcast about.

Scientists have also developed a type of fly which lives on Fire Ants. You can't buy them, but I've heard they've been released in parts of the US.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
bigmama Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks. I will check next time I am at lowes or the feed store.

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
I've just gotten a publication from the Mississippi State Extension Office titled "Control fireants in pastures, hayfields, and barnyards." It list three active ingredients for fireant control:

methoprene
pyriproxyfen
hyramethylnon

Appartently repeated applications (more than once/year) of these give greater control.

It also lists three brand-name products for quickly eliminating mounds:

High-Yeild Garden, Pet, and Livestock Insect control (active ingredient-- permethrin)
Martin's Permethrin 10% Multi-Purpose Insecticide
Sevin 80 (active ingredient-- carbaryl)

I haven't gotten around to trying any of these yet, but I'm going to have to soon!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Big Mama I live in the Dallas Area So I know exactly what you are saying,, about the fire ants,,
I use amdro fire ant killer,, Now there is a spray you connect to your hose end and spray directly on the mound,, it kills them instantly,
Go to Home depot , lowes, walmart , there are plenty of products there, Ortho has a good one as well,, Be sure to ask for ones safe for vegetables,
I have even used cornmeal as they eat it but can't digest it ~it's takes a little longer to work But it does work!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Do regular ants harm your veggie garden??

If not I - Then who?
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
No. There are many, many species of ants, very few harm vegetation. When they're present, it's often because you're in their livingroom, so to speak, or because they are collecting the honeydew aphids secrete. In some cases they are helping, removing dead or diseased material or preying on harmful insects, or removing fungus.

dave
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Oh, and btw, bigmama, you might want to look into boric acid, or an ant killer with boric acid called RoachProof, or Diatomaceous Earth, to control fire ants. These work well indoors, I'm not sure how well they work outdoors.

dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image