Print Thread
Rate Thread
#314025 Apr 22nd, 2010 at 04:36 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
O.k. Many years ago I asked DH to take this boulder from a half mile back on our farm and put it on the lawn...this is where it got dropped lol

It's on the mid left side of my property in the middle of no where, it looked alright before because it blended in with a row of hedges. Well due to the bad winters..I lost the row of hedges and have no intention of trying that again.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to make it look nicer..to blend in more. I added the little flagstone rock last fall. Any advice on how to add to it?
flowers%20and%20such%202007/2007gardenpics011.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/> 2008
flowers%202008/100_0842.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/> 2009

Theres a red rose in the center of the flag stone and asiatic lilies and phlox behind it.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
No takers? why

Someone must have an opinion for me... nooo

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I really Like what is there Tamara,, the taller Lilly's would look great behind it or anything tall behind it, maybe some ornamental grass Like blue grass wish I could help you figure out a way to plant rock cress on top somehow to have a cascade growing on top and over it that would look awesome.
Maybe a three tier Shepard hook with hanging baskets behind it with cascading flowers so you have some height and with blooming flowers all summer? You could always set potted plants on the boulder idea

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Behind it are purple lupines...they will get tall in a year or two. In the front are yellow daylilies. yellow sedum is spreading nicely.

I tried to put a moss/milk mix on the rock but it didn't work.

The shepherd hook is a great idea...I had a 5 in 1 apple tree to the right of it that broke one winter. You're right it needs some height near it.

It just looks lost on that side of the lawn with the row of hedges being gone now.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
hey I saw a show on the moss and milk.. they said you have to have the right kind of moss, and use buttermilk, But they also said you'd have to have some shade,, I think they used it on a cheaper form of concrete deco ornaments tho.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I used the moss spores and moss with sour milk...covered it with saran wrap and a black garbage bag and got nothing...

I must try again.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
oh I don't remember them covering it or saying it needed to ??
Maybe you can plant a tree there for your New Granddaughter and call it "her Tree" so it can grow with her. grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I really like it too. Much better than a bare expanse of lawn. A tree might be nice around but not necessary.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #314540 Apr 24th, 2010 at 04:51 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I thought of adding a tree there but the past two got broken from all the snow in that area...it's in the open part of my lawn that gets the bad drifts.

Maybe a smaller statured tree would work, nothing spindly.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I just very first saw this--sorry blush

Originally Posted by tamara

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to make it look nicer..to blend in more. I added the little flagstone rock last fall. Any advice on how to add to it?
flowers%20and%20such%202007/2007gardenpics011.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/> 2008
flowers%202008/100_0842.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/> 2009

Theres a red rose in the center of the flag stone and asiatic lilies and phlox behind it.

well for first I would make the "mulched" area on the left side larger. In the end the whole are would be more of a oval area. then I think I might move the larger grass that is to the left front of the boulder to the right of the boulder. that would leave more "free area" for a small hardy bush or perhaps a tree as was suggested. and as I am bad at complete reading, this may have been suggested--- but do you have a hardy flowering tree in your area of some sort that could be planted in honor of your grand daughter. (I did read a tree in honor of your grand daughter was mentioned by Daine)

when she is older you & she could plant various flowers there, changing what is sown from year to year, to nurture her love of flowers & gardening. why

PS Rod planted a tree with each of our DD when they were each 18 months old. really they just stood there but believe me---when you spoke to them "They" helped plant these trees. and they were always proud of their trees.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

A Common Juniper might fit into that pocket
of soil you have there on that boulder structure, shown on the right in your photo,
and drape over it, softening tbose harsh angles.

Maybe DH can find one out in the bush, bring it home, and set it in for you.

They are native here, you know. I have one set on a stony slope near our fenceline
and doing nicely.

JunieGirl #314590 Apr 24th, 2010 at 07:18 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Tam I really like what you have done so far. I think tall varieties of Iris would be pretty there as well.

I'm pm-ing you a link to pretty trees that would do well there. I vote for Magnolia or Pagoda Dogwood... both are hardy near you.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #314941 Apr 26th, 2010 at 04:16 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
DH told me to stick a birdhouse on a pole near it...his answer to all my landscaping inquiries. Good thing I don't listen...I'd have more birdhouses than plants lol

You see now he has decided that in the next few years he'd like to start a garage there(whenever the money fairy visits I think)...which would mean..I'd have to move the boulder garden rolz

Thanks for the link Merme, and all your ideas everyone. Now I'm really undecided what to do.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,889
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image