Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#316726 May 7th, 2010 at 04:29 PM
OP Offline
I purchased an aloe vera plant as a personal gift to myself when we moved off our sailboat (after 10 years and no plants) about 5 years ago. I have moved it into a bigger pot at the appropriate time in its growing life and it continued to grow. It is now 2 feet in diameter and stands 27 inches high from the pot. It has Bloomed 3 times (bright yellow flowers in a drooping trumpet shape, the first one went clear to the ceiling) and has produced enough offspring for me to start my own Aloe vera only garden centre.

My question to you all is....is there some way of getting the blooms without getting the offspring? Also is there some way to get it to bloom in May instead of March? I would like to put it outside for the humming birds but ours don't arrive until about June unlike the rest of the world who are seeing them now. We are just getting rid of 6 inches of new fallen snow. I live about 15 miles from the Rockie Mountains.

Thanks,
alberta bound

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
You can pluck out the offspring and give them away or throw them away.
There is a natural time for them to bloom and I have never heard of anyone forcing them to bloom at a different time. Ir would have to do with the light it was getting and for about how long each day. But without enough light, your plant will begin to get mushy leaves and die.
Mine also bloom in March but they are outdoors all year here and so are the hummers.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #316811 May 8th, 2010 at 10:47 AM
OP Offline
thank you Tina. Guess it is what it is then. I'll cut off this bloom as it has all but died down now and maybe I'll get lucky and get another bloom for summer.

alberta bound

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,884
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image