Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#319078 May 23rd, 2010 at 12:27 PM
OP Offline
Hello,
Myself and a housemate are planning a vegetable garden in our back yard. We have decided to use raised beds because of years of dog feces contamination in the yard, and we realize growing food in contaminated soil would be a bad move. I'm planning on the beds being about 12 inches tall, 4'x8'. Sadly we cannot elevate the beds from the underlying soil which brings me to my problem. How can I ensure that the fresh soil I am adding to the beds does not get ruined by the "dirty" soil below. I thought of plastic sheeting, but realize that would screw up the drainage from the beds, and I'm not sure if the fine mesh weed barrier would be enough to protect the vegetables that i plan on growing.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi and welcome wavy

What are you planting? 12 inches of dirt is enough to grow lots of different veggies.

I certainly would go with plastic...you don't want the bad soil seeping up into your good soil.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
OP Offline
We are planning on growing tons of vegetables, some berries, and one whole bed is going to be herbs and lettuces.We are limiting ourselves to strictly heirloom varieties, because we want veggies, not genetic creations. We are trying to be as green and organic as possible. So the beds are all being made from salvaged components, recycled lumber (not previously treated with chemicals, or paints), stones, and logs from a fallen tree. we are avoiding all animal products, so no manure, but seaweed compost, and compost from the pile we started and have been maintaining from last year. we were definitely concerned because we a re growing food, we don't want any outside contaminates, or diseases that could possibly arise from dog feces. should I assume that because that since our beds are raised drainage isn't an issue?

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
As long as you have good soil...drainage won't be a problem.

OP Offline
Awesome! Thanks I really appreciate the help. I'm new to gardening, and I'm really excited to begin. I'll post pictures when its up and running!!!

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image