Print Thread
Rate Thread
#319008 May 22nd, 2010 at 06:21 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
We moved here in Dec. of 2004. In the spring of 2005 we planted our yard with a 5 way Fescue Mix. Apparenlty people in this area usually plant Kentucky blue grass but the guy who sowed our yard talked DH into the 5 way mix. why When it was planted, it was fertilized with a 12-12-12 fertilizer.
Since that time to now, my DH has put a 12-12-12 on the whole yard at least 2 other times.
This yesr he did not--
this year we have about 85% of our yard growing in clover complete with flower heads. the yard to our north, one year newer, has some of the same problem, but the ones to our East & South do not at all.

I have 2 questions.

1) what can we do to get rid of the clover, short of the broadleaf weed killer stuff. (DH told me the name but I cannot recall it)

2) since it has rained for the last week, the grass is plenty tall, & I was looking forward to using the lawn sweeper to pick the grass up to use as mulch on my veggie garden.---BUT now I am concerned about putting clover flower heads on my garden. would I be, in effect, planting clover in my garden ???

any & all help/advice would be appreciated.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #319058 May 23rd, 2010 at 10:14 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I don't have any answers, Carol, but I did want to say that when I was looking out the window this morning at the backyard, I was dismayed to see how much of it is filling in with clover here as well. Especially the newer seeded area right in front of the pond.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #319213 May 24th, 2010 at 05:08 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Not sure on an answer either but I wish I had your clover...looks so much better than my dandelions haha

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #319352 May 25th, 2010 at 10:50 PM
Well you'll attract more bees to pollinate your garden (if needed). I do.
There is a product by Gordons (speed zone) which should take care of the clover, but I am saving that stuff to kill my nasty knot weed.
Don't like chemicals, but for me it was a must, cause sifting through the soil had unpleasing results. Those knotweeds regrew through the rhizomes, and I sifted for hours. Missed more than a few I guess.
Thanks Garden helper, all I do is read your articals.
I'm learning

digginit #319510 May 28th, 2010 at 07:11 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Does anyone have an idea about my grass & why it is being over-run by clover???

________

JunieGirl #319512 May 28th, 2010 at 07:33 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Mine is in full bloom now - I'd also like to get rid of it once and for all!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #319514 May 28th, 2010 at 08:09 AM
The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts
Clover is a prolific self seeding, tender perennial that also spreads by rhizomes so you have to fight it above and below ground. Probably the most important thing to do is to get the flower heads cut right away so they don't get a chance to go to seed. You could try spraying existing clumps with vinegar... why
As far as using the flower heads in your mulch goes... If you keep the weed seedlings scuffled out as soon as they sprout, they are easy to get rid of...
Annual Weeds
Perennial Weeds
General Weed Control

Wild Willy #319524 May 28th, 2010 at 10:03 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Bless you for getting back to me, Bill. I appreciate it. shots

it was all the rain that let it get this far. DH could not get out to cut as soon as he would have liked.

PS: thanks for the links

________

JunieGirl #325285 Jul 21st, 2010 at 06:09 AM
Those weeds are obnoxious, huh? I stopped using all chemicals last year as part of a bigger health/ecological consciousness. We now have lots of weeds trying to invade. I do spray vinegar on weeds that are in sidewalk cracks, but the vinegar will kill things around it as well. Also, I'm fairly sure that the vinegar doesn't do anything for the roots. The other alternative is to remove grass and have more garden beds. We have a lot of lawn. I am slowly creating more beds, though my kids and dh don't want all of the grass gone, which I understand. I think that I am just coming to terms with nature and, rather than constantly fighting it - and subsequently destroying our health and the planet - I am doing what I can manually and naturally and leaving the rest as is. (Of course my neighbors will be less-than pleased and my dh hates the weeds, but I am at a point in my life where I just don't care. Our health is way more important than temporarily conquering a few weeds.)
Good luck!
Angie

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,886
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image