Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi everyone. I am a new home owner and have never grown anything in my life--not even an herb garden! Lol. I recently had some landscaping done (all new sod and some planting - boxwoods, cherry laurels, andromeda, a Hollywood Juniper, and a Crape Myrtle) and want to make sure I am taking care of it properly. I read up on caring for new sod and have been watering the heck out of it for the past 2 weeks. For the most part, it seems like it is doing well and I hope to be able to mow it soon. I noticed some shrinkage and seams showing so, in addition to heavy watering 2x a day these past 2 weeks, I have been hand watering the seams. That seems to have helped, but I've noticed some mushrooms growing, so I wonder if I have overdone it a bit. My biggest question is about the bushes and Juniper. I am scared that I've overwatered them too because I've noticed some brown needles on the Juniper towards the bottom of the tree and some yellow and brown leaves on the boxwoods. We also had some hydrangea bushes transplanted from the original landscaping, but the leaves on those are almost all turning brown and shriveling up, so I'm not sure if they are dying or just stressed from being transplanted...or overwatered. Like I said, I've never grown anything before, so it's all just guessing to me! I live in Long Island, NY, if that helps at all. Anyone have any thoughts/advice? Thanks so much!

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi and welcome wavy

I've never had sod so I am of no help to you there but mushrooms come from spores and wetness helps it spread. 2X a day is way too much..

Just slacken back on the watering for your new shrubs, they are stressing if they are turning yellow. Your transplanted shrubs are just under some shock, they'll do fine with some rest....I water new plants every third day and transplants every second day for two weeks..and just a gallon each.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image