Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#319738 May 31st, 2010 at 02:13 PM
Earth Offline OP
OP Offline
So far for the last week or so, one of my snow peas had started at the bottom of the plant to turn yellow and then progressed to the entire plant starting from the bottom and going upwards turning yellow including the stem. This is happening to one plant out of 6, four of the plants are perfectly fine, and two are not yellowing but have few small black spots on their leaves but is still flowering and producing peas.

I removed the yellow plant and inspected the the roots and noticed little nodules on the roots. I'm not sure if the plant is suppose to have those or not. The soil was originally sandy and loam and I amended the soil with miracle grow garden soil and for the last two months were fine. I'm not sure whats happening here.

"When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice."
- Marquis de la Grange
Earth #319742 May 31st, 2010 at 02:29 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Blight, fusarium wilt, mosaic virus, powdery mildew and root rot are the most common diseases of peas along with aphid infestation.

When it happens here it's usually Fusariam Wilt...happens alot when it's a wet season. It's a fungus..

The nodules come from some kind of nitrogen bacteria...not fully understanding of that though...

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #319862 Jun 2nd, 2010 at 01:52 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Yes, the nodules are beneficial and are present on all legumes.
One more thing to consider, haven't you had a heatwave on the East Coast? Peas can't tolerate heat.
Also....black specks are possible from honeydew produced by aphids. There will always be a few aphids on peas, but a number of them is bad news. A little insecticidal soap applied in the evening will take care of them, but careful not to kill ladybugs and their larva, they're there to eat the aphids.
tamara...legumes provide a place for nitrogen fixing bacteria to live, which take nitrogen from air and store it...the peas use it, and some is still there when the peas die off, so leaving the dead plants and turning them in adds nitrogen back to the soil. Legumes like peas, beans, vetch and alfalfa, I believe, can be used as a cover crop to enrich soil between plantings of other crops Some farmers grow mung beans and such after harvesting wheat so as to fix nitrogen in the soil.

dave
peppereater #319988 Jun 3rd, 2010 at 05:48 PM
Earth Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, we have been having mini heat waves on and off here in NY but I find it odd that only one plant would die so quickly out of so many thriving plants. I always thought heat only caused wilting of the plant and that after the wave is over, the plant will get better again, I didn't think they would die.

Can heat waves kill plants even though the are well watered multiple times a day during high temps? I also shade them during high temps.

I have bough some insecticidal soap for my peas today but have not used it yet. I think it might kill lady bugs but I'm not sure, I haven't seen anyone else on the plant, only the small black eggs which seem to be laid on more near the flower where the peas are emerging or inside the flower itself.

Should I still spray the plant even if I don't see the ladybugs?
I love ladybugs, I would hate to kill them.

Last edited by Earth; Jun 3rd, 2010 at 05:49 PM.

"When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice."
- Marquis de la Grange
Earth #320001 Jun 3rd, 2010 at 08:53 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Heat can kill peas outright, individuals can be weaker than their siblings...either way, it could be that your season is coming to a close for peas due to weather, but I don't have much experience to go by with peas, just a few attempts plus what I've read.
Watering is important but not nescessarily the same issue as heat itself, heat itself is the main issue with crops like peas.
Soap must contact and actually cover insects in order to kill them, so unless you see ladybugs when you spray, there is no problem. You should Google ladybug larva and get familiar with what they look like if you're not already familiar with them, they look like little Gila monsters, but they eat aphids 10 to 1 or more than adult ladybugs. Don't spray on hot, sunny days as that will cause severe damage (sunburn mostly, and suffocation of tissue) but wait until evening so the plants have all night to recover.
What you're seeing as "small, black eggs" is likely the excrement of aphids, insecticidal soap is an ideal control. Aphids excrete honeydew, which is clear, but quickly turns black due to bacteria and mold colonies.

dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image