Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#320007 Jun 4th, 2010 at 03:23 AM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

Some of the leaves have yellow/brown spots, and the tips of the leaves are browning. This is my first potted plant, and I have no idea what's going on.

Last edited by Skeletomania; Jun 4th, 2010 at 03:30 AM.
Skeletomania #320062 Jun 4th, 2010 at 06:07 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
what is the name of the plant? How long have you had it, and when did you first notice the problem?
Sometimes, when droplets of water remain on a plant long enough, minute fungal "speckling" can occur, tiny infections. I think that's what you're seeing. There's no reason they should spread, as long as there is some air movement, and you don't allow the leaves to get wet or stay wet.
The damage also looks a bit like what spidermites can do, but I doubt that's the problem.

dave
peppereater #320070 Jun 5th, 2010 at 12:52 AM
OP Offline
I think the plant is called money tree. I've had the plant since autumn of last year. I've noticed the problem a week or two ago, and it seems to be spreading. It's an indoor plant, and I haven't spray any water on the leaves.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Skeletomania; Jun 5th, 2010 at 01:06 AM.
Skeletomania #320074 Jun 5th, 2010 at 07:19 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
It looks like it's only on the top side of the leaves, is that right? I'm no expert on houseplants, but I can't think of any disease or pest that would cause that. Sometimes artificial fertilizer can compromise a plant's immunities and allow diseases or pests to attack.
Anyway, I'm still thinking those are minute fungal colonies. The spots will never go away, but they might not get worse. Make sure the plant gets sufficient light, don't feed it for awhile, and you might consider using one of those products to clean the leaves and make them glossy...I forget what the brandnames are. As long as you don't set the plant in direct sun, you could use plain mineral oil and lightly swab the upper part ONLY to clean the leaves and perhaps retard the growth of the fungus.

dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image