Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
breakfast

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Coffee is very good this morning.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yup, warms up the chill in one's bones..

I mopped myself into the computer corner again.. lol

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Yes, if one must mop into a corner, let it always be the computer corner! haha

Well, Maxi will be home in a few minutes and we will go to Wal-Mart. Gotta go get my stuff together. See y'all later!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi all, supper is done. Not a thing left to do here in the house tonight...although I have to go help DH move some cows out to pasture in a bit.

I think tomorrow might be nice enough to plant some veggie seeds, can't wait. thumbup

First I am out to take some pics of my flowers and such that are starting to grow decently..pics later.

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Hi everyone! I'm off work early today, had to take Aros downtown for an appointment with the guardiam ad lidem (no idea if I spelled that correctly). I went to the bank and the library and then came home to eat my lunch and wait for Aros to call and let me know he's ready to be picked up. Hopefully after this meeting we can finally move on to the next step of this child custody thing. It seems with anything legal it's delay after delay after delay. This lady only has until June 30th to interview the kids and write up her report so at least the next step won't take forever. After I pick him up I think I'm going to go to the running store and spend the birthday money that I received from my MIL yesterday. I need a shirt to go with the new running skirt the girls bought for me. I also need some way of carrying water with me because I start my half marathon training program this week and it won't be too much longer before my runs last an hour and beyond.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hope everything works out Cheryl thumbup

Birthday shopping sounds fun..

Well I planted some of my veggie seeds tonight...beans, peas, beets, carrots and cucumbers so far. Emma came to help..well that is until DH landed with the horse then off she went...she said the horse was more fun lol
[Linked Image]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Staying hydrated is a good thing, Cheryl. Have fun!
I don't blame Emma at all, Tamara.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
lol I'd want to go play with the horse too. We're supposed to get possibly into the low 70's by this weekend. Can't wait, it's been too cold for too long, where's summer?

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Summer gave us a sneak peek the last few days. But it is supposed to return to our normal 'June gloom" for a few days. That makes working in the mornings much nicer.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
wavy

Today we went to Target.

Maxi got sneakers. I got two summer dresses. Normally, I wouldn't think of wearing these up here until perhaps August, but I'll need them in Washington in a few days. We are still fairly cold. I also bought a pretty black skirt w/ cutwork around the hem.

On sale to boot!

We also got odds & ends we need for the trip to fill in here & there what we already have.

Tomorrow I begin packing and intend to finish that on Thursday. Friday is dialysis & I am always wiped out after Friday dialysis, so I won't want to try packing then. And we leave at 7 AM Saturday morning, so I gotta get 'er done.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yay Merme, shopping is so much fun when you can treat yourself...

The sun is shining, I can't believe it..I kind of forgot what it looked like lol

I have outdoor work to do and no supplies to do it with, drives me crazy. I hate living so far away from town...hoping I get a call to do some work somewhere today thumbup

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I must mention again how beautiful it is out today grin Nothing like washing windows with a nice breeze keeping the flies away.

I planned on bbq'ing today until I noticed my propane tank is empty..cr@p. DH uses it sometimes to hook up things too, our second 'work' tank is outdated rolz

Hoping everyone is enjoying their day like I am thumbup

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I don't have a gas grill. I use charcoal for cooking out. But I do have six 5 gal propane tanks and they are all full. That is sort of an emergency supply. I could hook them up to a stove direct if needed and I have a couple of propane heaters too. Trying to be prepared in case the 'big one' hits.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I used to have a charcoal grill, but sometimes it was impossible to get the charcoal. This propane grill is one that my mother one in a raffle but she is terrified of propane so she gave it to us as a present...in return for a few grilled chicken per year.

Great idea though Tina..I keep telling DH someday we need to get a generator. I've seen the power out for a couple days here in winter. Thankfully we can do all with our wood stove but it would be nice to have running water.

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Today Maxi received a beautiful letter from our Congresswoman. On embossed Congressional stationary. The secretary really understood what that would mean to us so instead of folding the letter and shoving it in a business size envelope, she put it in a manila folder & mailed it in an oversized envelope so it arrived in pristine condition. The very paper is lovely.... heavy, too.

In it, she congratulated him on his Gold Medal in Augusta and his acceptance at Cheverus for the fall. She wished him well in this competition and said she was proud that he would be representing our state. It was really very good of her to do that as she had heard his story in a roundabout way as we've never met her.

Last week he received a letter from our previous congressman and that alone had been pretty big stuff. Now this. Maxi is very pleased. Me too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
[quote=tamara

Great idea though Tina..I keep telling DH someday we need to get a generator. I've seen the power out for a couple days here in winter. Thankfully we can do all with our wood stove but it would be nice to have running water. [/quote]
I have two wood burning stoves that provide all of my heat. I have a small generator that will run a freezer and fridge or a TV to see what is happening. I also have a huge generator that will run my whole house as long as I can feed it gas. My water is well water but it is a horizontal well into the mountain behind us. So it is gravity fed, no pumps. I do not have the best water pressure in the world but I have consistent water. I am a nut case about preparedness and stuff.
Good night. I am actually going to bed early tonight.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
wavy Good morning everybody!

Another day of rain and another very busy day. It is my last free day before the trip so I must get much done.

Why why do they say "make hay while the sun shines" when so many of us work rain or shine?! lol

Wherever you are, I hope your coffee is fresh, your tea is sweet, and the skies overhead are shining down on you w/ gladness.

Gotta run! I'll check back in later!

*whoosh!* off goes Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
haha wow Merme was quick this morning lol

I had a rough night again, I am honestly thinking of going to see a 'Naturapath( I think that's what they're called)' about my insides. I was up all night and this morning feel like I've been hit by a bus..in forward and reverse lol My doc has small children and is off more than what she works..and another doctor won't deal with pass issues without a 'write-off' from the previous doctor. I've had it...

The sun is shining today and I have to go some banking sometime later..when I feel up to it I guess. I slept in til 8am this morning...DH was telling me some barn chores that had to be done this a.m.....honestly I can't remember anything he told me besides the horses harness needs to be washed why

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. I am sorry you are having such health issues, Tamara. I hope it passes soon so you feel tip top again.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Morning Tina..it'll pass always does. just hate the 'feeling tired' all the time, I get one good day and 'BAM' get knocked off my feet again.

So how is the foot doing today?

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
My foot is celebrating its one week birthday by aching. I may have pushed it a little hard yesterday. But it really is improving slowly but surely.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
It seems like a sprain takes forever to heal... kissie hope it's better real soon.

10am here and I never done a thing yet..I could use some some help today..anyone wanna share their 'work fairy'?

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
When you finish with the fairy, I will pay airfare and feed it for a week for its help here. I need a house cleaning fairy.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
lol Tina...give her a good cleaning first, I'm putting her to work in the barn.

I'm trying to get up the 'go' to run some errands..Oh well, at least I got the house cleaned and the horse harness washed.

Supposed to reach 72*F here today...and we had patchy frost this a.m. what strange weather. It nipped one of my hostas.

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well got the errands all done, chores too.

Went to the local pharmacy for something for my tummy..told her my allergies to certain medicines, she gave me Pepto-Bismol. Came home and read the package..do not take if you are allergic to ASA..jeepers, I told her ASA was an allergy. rolz I give up.

On another note, I got some corn on the cob from the local little grocery store..$1 an ear, the price we pay for produce is ridiculous, I bought 3 anyway thumbup

Suppers in the oven and I have an hour to sit and waste grin

Hubby is in TO, seeing the Oncologist...hope it is good news.

Tamara, I usually prefer the Chemist to a doc, but this time??? boohoo

Our local Farmers Market is starting this Sat. so we shall see if the corn is ready. I don't think so as I drive the Highway, the fields do not have tall corn yet. The strawberries are in though, clap bumper crop this year due to all the warm weather. Yummy

Yes, 5 p.m. your time, 4 p.m. mine. When hubby comes home, we only have to reheat the casserole he made yesterday. He will be pretty tired as he was on the road at 7 a.m. snooz

Tea time for me, then a little more cultivating I think.

Cheers

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hoping all goes well for your DH.

It's hard to believe that Ontario is just a 10 hour drive from me but different worlds apart it seems when it comes to our planting zones. We won't see strawberries til the first of July usually....corn in August if we are lucky.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I also hope you have good news tonight, Janer.
Even California imports some produce on occasion, Tamara. Not much and not as often as you need to up there but it happens.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi Tina..

Shipping costs are what makes up 80% of the price I bet. I still remember one time Carol sent me something wrapped up in a grocery store 'flyer'..I kept showing everyone how cheap food was there, they were all amazed. That poor flyer got passed around lol

evening all: yes, good news. remission for at least 2 years. finally after 3 different chemo treatments, one that worked.

Tamara: I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. If the sun is shining, it has to be better.
Like me, I guess you live in the country.
Yes, I am about 10 hrs. SW of you and the climate is totally different. Although this year, none of us can say what a normal season is .

Thank you Tina for your good wishes.

Just walked the dog, down by the lake and saw the biggest Yacht. It must have been 3 stories high. It was flying an American flag, but I was too far away to see the name & state.

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Great news for you and your husband.

Janer, I complain alot..you'll see it often lol I'll feel better tomorrow thumbup Thanks.

What part of Ontario are you in? I have family in Chalk River, Cambridge, Kitchener, Barrie and Ottawa.

Tamara: we are 90 miles NE of Toronto, a little village of 2500, in the Kawartha Lakes.Been here 5.5 years now and it was the best move we ever made.

Barrie is 2 hrs. NW of us, the long way round because of the lakes.

Are you near a city or right out on a farm? I am a horse lover, used to be a rider and should have lived on a farm vs. the city. Luckily now I have a .5 acre of garden to play in and we have bush on 2 sides of us. 500 ft. to Pigeon Lake, we are not water people though, so we did not buy a lot on the lake. Leave that to the wealthy. rspb

You are not complaining, just venting. badday It is allowed. Wingeing is not though. boohoo

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'm not even close to a small city..as back woods as you can get. I live on the North-Eastern edge of New Brunswick about 3 miles from the Atlantic Ocean( and I don't like the water lol ).

We have a 100 acre lot(inherited from Father-in-law)..mostly woods and farm fields, we have a farm for a hobby. One Percheron work horse and 10 cows now, 3 born just last week. I just keep a little over an acre for a lot for my tiny house..I don't put in a large veggie garden any more, our weather just doesn't co-operate now for things to grow like they did..too much cold weather.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your gardens and area.

Love it "backwoods" indeed. You can't be very far back or you would be in the drink and you don't like the water (I don't either).

I can't plant any veggies here. A resident groundhog, 2 bunnies, beaver, who eat what ever they can get in my garden. In the lake we have mink, otters, ducks, blue heron and the ever lovely Osprey (dirty birds) who are protected here. If you have ever cleaned up fish heads in the heat of summer, you would wish them on their way too.

Frequently a fox walks through my back yard and occasionally the coyote. We had a bear and her 2 cubs up the road a few weeks ago, but I did not see her.

I'm sure you have your share of wildlife as well. Yes, I thought that was a draft horse in the picture.

I will download some pics to Photobucket and start posting, only if you do the same (or have you done so already) and I have missed them.

In the 'members gallery' do people post pics of their area? that way we can get a feel for who lives where.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I know now to send you any gifts sent in flyers, Tamara.
When I traveled in New Zealand I read the ads to get an idea prices. For everything. Even the for rent and sale things in the newspapers. To see what the cost of living was in comparison.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
wavy Hi Janer, haven't seen you on here yet. Good news about your hubby. Tamara, that is not fair that you were warmer than me today. We're supposed to get into the mid 70's this weekend though and Aros is threatening my life about doing something with the weed takeover. lol He is offering to help at least. Tomorrow I have to go downtown to meet with the gardiam woman at 9am. Then I have a doctor's appointment in the afternoon and then one of the kids grandma's (from D.C.) is taking us out to dinner. We still need to do grocery shopping and I need to fit laundry in there somewhere too. I should start on that tonight but my feet hurt because I had a really busy day at work and I'm just trying to rest them because we'll probably do our shopping tonight. I ordered dinner, the pizza and pasta place we order from just came out with gluten free ravioli so of course, I have to try it. All of their other pastas and their pizza is good so the ravioli should be good too. Hopefully it'll be here any minute now, I'm starivng!

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Wow, Cheryl, you are as busy as always!!

I am exhausted... been running like crazy. I just can't wait to get through all the extra work ahead of me tomorrow and get on that train Saturday morning. It will be heaven to put all the phone calls, emails, letters, and scheduling & planning behind us and just DO the trip.

We are gonna have a great time, I just know it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
You ARE going to have a great time, Merme! Relax tomorrow and enjoy the train ride. It's not too long of a ride is it? We took the train to Minnesota once and I can't sleep in moving objects so it was a really rough 2 1/2 days for me. Otherwise, I think the train is a much more enjoyable way to travel.

I've gone and eaten too much, guess I'll be waddling around the grocery store tonight. It was good though.

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
All this talk of weather... . We missed spring-- maybe it was just me: I missed spring. Today it was about 92* and it's supposed to be hot this weekend. Mind you, I'm not complaining. I'm just disappointed that I didn't work harder in April-- when it was cold and raining-- tilling up the clay.

I did get the celery in and I think I'm going to go pragmatic-- as opposed to organic-- and give it a shot of Miracle Grow 'cause I'd rather have celery than be a puritan.

Merme-- that certificate for Maxi sounds great. I'm still, yes still, unpacking stuff and it's fun to find those honors from the girls' young lives. Science Fair awards, Quiz Bowl stuff. I think a lot of folks eventually just toss these into the trash as their kids become adults. But I like saving these recognitions. I think I've mentioned this before, but my mom started a "tradition." Both my brother and I get a box at Christmas filled with old report cards, yearbooks, newspaper clippings, etc. We all do Christmas together, and neither Mike nor I give a flip about the contents of our boxes (been there, done that), but our kids (14-28) get a hoot out of seeing us their ages! So I imagine that in the future, these letters to Maxi will be relegated to a box filled with many other letters of accomplishment. Save the box!!

(And by the way, I am carrying on the tradition of the box for all the world to see. I recently found a "contract" written by Margaret when she was about 12--- had something to do with weeding a garden!... she would agree if I would agree to ??-- and I posted it on facebook. A real hoot. Brought back some good memories.)

AND I have finally ... almost... finished washing all of my old linens, dollies, tableclothes, embroidered pillowcases, etc., AND ironed them. This is a once is a lifetime event.

Safe trip, Merme. Hope the sun shines tomorrow for everyone!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,883
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image