Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#319744 May 31st, 2010 at 04:13 PM
OP Offline
Hello, I have a tomato plant in a pot that I have been keeping in my window. Up until this point it has been doing great, getting bigger and happier all the time. Today, however, the plant fell over. It looks wilty over all. I staked and tied it to hold it up. The only thing I have done differently with it was pour some coffee into the container. I am wondering if that did something to it? Any advice is appreciated, I'd hate to see this plant die! This is my first year gardening and the little guy was doing so well.

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Coffee?? Do you mean like coffee from the pot?

I'd suggest repotting it. Use fresh potting soil. I'm sure the experts will come along shortly.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Adding coffee to younger vegetables can make the soil too acidic too quickly for it to adjust. Especially if you used a manure rich mixture to plant it in the first place, the soil would already be acidic enough. Adding coffee might have shocked the young plant.

I'd also suggest repotting it in new soil (the same type of mixture you used originally since that worked so well). Wait a 10-14 days to fertilize it again after repotting. This will allow the plant to concentrate on healing before getting the signal to grow again and result in a stronger tomato plant later.

Cheers,
Debbie

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image