Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#320446 Jun 7th, 2010 at 06:17 PM
kdm3170 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a Moon cactus that has flower buds on it and just noticed today that it died before it even opened, Any suggestions? I dont know wether it needs more water sunlight less water less sunlight, open to any suggestions

Thanks

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
"Moon cactus" is an excellent for windowsills.
It requires porous cactus soil with adequate drainage and prefers filtered light or shade with ample airflow. Water thoroughly when soil is dry to the touch
When they are vigorously growing and blooming, they will need more water. thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Dear Angel:

Been piddling with succulents for 35 years. Just retired and the wife and I are building our DREAM little Country Store and Nursery with a specialty in Vegetable Plants & A small Variety of Ornamental Plants.

I like to place all my cactus outdoors from May 17th until September 15th down here in zone 8A. I place some on the porch's and some under shade cloth. They all receive indirect light. This seems to work best, since I have practiced this for the last 2 years with more regularity.

With All Best Wishes:

Busy Bee

"The Early Bird Gets The Worm, But, The Old Lazy Mouse That Is Always Late,
Gets The Cheese".

kdm3170 Offline OP
OP Offline
well it gets indirect light almost always fresh air has plenty of water but the flower buds still keep dying. one got close to opening n died, then 2 others died soon after forming. i boughtplant food n that seems to b helping so hopefully they will actually grow n open now

KDM:

Well..............Let's see said the blind man...............Sounds like it might not be getting enough light.............But, I will tell you now............, we are all like a bunch of mechanics..............We all got a different idea.................

Let me share with you what has worked for me during the last 35 years.............., with a lot of trial & error and now finally seems to work well, down here in hillbilly country.

I use a mix of river sand found down here on the Altamaha River............Pure White.............And it is somewhat course............Drains real well.........Most white river sand is fine and does not drain well..........but, this is somewhat course............Most building supply dealers have course sand for masonry use.............White sand might have more minerals..............but, I will leave that one up to the Scientists.

I make a mix with 2 scoops of sand to 1 scoop of peat moss packaged in a bale from Michigan............1 scoop of vermiculite............1 scoop of perlite................1 scoop of high end potting soil mix without fertilizer added.........A scoop would equal equal parts.............also, I add around 8 0z's of bone meal per 4 cubit feet of mix............Sounds like I am baking a cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I have an old Cement mixer, I throw it all in and stir it up good...................

My shade cloth is around 40% light filtering..........Porch's is about the same.....................

I water with a Std. greenhouse Wand on Shower...............

Water only in the months that does not have an R in it, with the exception of April & September. Water only once a month............succulents are watered twice a month. Same mix for cactus & succulents.

The only exception is the Aloe Vera which I am experimenting with now.........Watering Once a month for one trial section and every 2 months for the other trial section...........Met an elderly lady last year at a County Fair down here.........She was selling Aloe Vera out of an old Wash Tub.......Prettiest Specimens I have ever seen..........Said she only grew them in this White River Sand and only watered them every 3 months............Blew me away.........Also, she never watered them in the winter months............Amounted to about 2 waterings a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Said she had been doing it for 50 years....................

My fertilizer mix for both cactus & succulents is about a Tablespoon of Neptune Organic Fish Fertilizer per 2 gallons of Water. 50% mix.............

All of this sounds like I am building a Nuclear Containment building, but, All I know it appears to be working....................

You might just want to start with a little more light.................

With All Best Wishes:

Busy Bee

"The early bird gets the Worm, but, that old lazy mouse that always shows up late, gets the cheese"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image