Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#318776 May 21st, 2010 at 01:04 PM
bobey Offline OP
OP Offline
Last night I was at Montreal to go see a music concert. But before, we had to eat. So, we were walking down the street to go to the restaurant. While walking I saw this little place on the street that was selling flowers. I asked my mom if we could stop after are dinner at the restaurant. She said yes. So, I looked around the little store outside and I found a Beaucarnea(elephants foot). I was so happy since I think these plants are quite rare. I paid it 20$. It has 3 small round codex as big as a golf ball and it has a lot of leaves. I will post pictures when I have time.

bobey #319657 May 30th, 2010 at 01:49 PM
bobey Offline OP
OP Offline
Anyone ever hear about this specie?

bobey #321487 Jun 16th, 2010 at 12:20 PM
Hey bobey,
Congrats on the new plant! I think what you have is a Beaucarnea recurvata, also commonly known as elephant foot or ponytail palm. This plant is fairly tolerant as far as water and light go. Of course they grow better under the right conditions. They can grow to be as tall as you let them. They love to be pot bound, I mean severely! There are some that are hundreds of years old. I personally would separate them and put them in their own pots. And not trying to criticize in any way, but you paid 20 dollars? Yikes! I don't know where you live, but I found three in a pot, the size of golf balls at my local Wally's for four dollars. I kept one and gave my mom the other two. Mine is by itself and is about the size of an egg at the bottom. My mother left hers together and they haven't grown as much. Hope you enjoy your new baby!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,887
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image