OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
wavy

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Tina-- that's really saying something! lol

I got nothing either. Talk later.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
I've got 10* to give someone tomorrow.

Who wants 10*? Going once, going twice...

It's forecast to be 98* tomorrow. Might be a tad humid, too. Not that I'm complaining. Definitely not complaining. Just saying.

The wind is picking up. Maybe we'll have a nice little T-storm.

What's everyone up to? How were the graduation parties?

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
It is so hard not to complain when it is too hot or too cold. I also try not to complain but a whimper slips through now and again.
I have had lovely June weather and I also have tried not to rub it in too much. I spent more of it indoors finally cleaning than I would have liked. Next month it will be too hot to work outside except early in the mornings and late in the evenings. I am such a wimp.
I am grateful that I have a van with working a/c. I use swamp coolers in my house. Those are good in our dry desert heat. I live in a slightly elevated area so I don't have the temps that occur down in the valleys. Lots to be grateful for.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
wavy

It got too warm & steamy here late this afternoon after a very beautiful day. When Maxi was heading to his shower I asked him to take it w/ tepid water to not steam up the apt even more! lol He did use cool water, bless him!

Tomorrow he is going to his dad's to give his little brothers their gifts and to tell them about the trip.

I have mountains of laundry to do... well, as much of a mountain as you can cram into two duffle bags going to Washington, that is! We nailed most of one bag today; the other can wait until tomorrow morning.

I am exhausted and can't seem to perk back up.

Going away sure is fun, but coming home again is so nice!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Graduation party was great----I stayed indoors of course. The food was yummy and the company was wonderful.
his mom was going around snapping pictures for an album she will make him, which will not be appreciated now but will of course be treasured later.
She said she also has one if him all thru his growing up years, which is sad for her as she said she had to use a lot of originals which were her only copies. (my brother and she are divorced)

My nephew is going to U of I in Champagne, IL in the fall and will room with his friend from his old high school, which is great for both of them, as well as the parents.

More family time tomorrow with a 65th anniversary party & then Father's Day celebration.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
You are so very busy, Carol. Make sure to rest sometime in there.
I am going to rest now. Good night all.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well Tina this is just an unusual weekend. it is not the norm for us to be so busy.
I jhad to get up to take the dogs out, so now I am awake, sad to say. no going to church--well unless Val wants to go to a differnt church. Rod is resting.

________

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning, Carol. I am up early as well. But that is not bad. Getting ready to get back on the school schedule because Ted's summer session begins tomorrow. Also in the summer when the heat slams in, it is best to work outside very early or very late. Siestas are the word of the day then.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yes I hear ya on the heat thing---I need some cooler days here soon, so I can go out and weed my asperagus bed. it is getting way out of control.

kinda sad to hear of summer sessions beginning already. but I guess the routine is a good thing ???

when is your company coming---you must be looking forward to that, HUH ?

________

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Good Happy Father's Day [Linked Image] wavy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
My friend was supposed to be in town on the 16th. No word yet if she got here. But I am not unhappy. It motivated me to begin cleaning my house a bit and I am continuing with that trend. It is almost ready to allow people to actually come in to visit. It has barely been habitable for us and it was our messes. So all is good.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
flwrHappy Father's Day to all the fathers from me as well flwr

well I hope you hear from your friend soon, Tina.
while yes the motivation is good, it is not good to wonder & worry.

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good morning..

Missed the grad party(I'll drop off the gift today)...we also had DH's 'summer work party' at the same time so we went to that, the food was awesome but it was so hot that the drinks poured to easy...yup, I ended up very tipsy by nights end haha Oh, I paid for it through the night...there's a reason I don't drink badday

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Good Morning all,
I was up early but Joe is still sleeping ..guess I will let him as it's father's day.. do need to go to store- forgot to buy potatoes! can't make a tater salad without them! It sucks getting old- was even on my list...
I do need to fold laundry and start packing up for out getaway- can do that at least... Joe cleaned up the yard yesterday after grandson mowed lawns , would really like to go buy a sunshade tent - it's supposed to be 92* here today... hopefully a little cloudy too to keep the heat down a little bit... well off to the races... see if I can get stuff done before he wakes up!
Have a good day all!
Happy Father's Day to all the dads and the moms who are both too.!
Nana

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yesterday must have been the day, tamara. I had a wine cooler at the party I went to. first one I have had in a few years....But lucky for me there was iced tea to switch to.

I hope you feel better soon, or at least by days end. kissie

I am going to get ready for the next party here in a few minutes.

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
yesterday must have been the day, tamara. I had a wine cooler at the party I went to. first one I have had in a few years....
ya I should have only had one also grin

Couldn't sleep or even rest..I can't lay down in the day time, so may as well get to cleaning and such. I feel better as each hour passes though.

Have a great day.

Nana..you need a vacation kissie

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hmm, I've got 4 bucket loads of top soil on my lawn that needs to be spread out..any takers? lol

Bad thunderstorms on their way...

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
wavy

Gee, I'd be great if I could ever wake up! lol I have just been so sleepy ever since we got back!

Today Maxi went to his dad's. His dad's girlfriend's parents are having a cookout for Father's Day. Maxi wanted to give them the little gifts he brought home for them from Washington. He is going to stay the night, so my house is empty.

We did get the mountain of laundry out of the suitcases and through the washer and dryer, though, thank the Lord. Phew, there sure seemed to be a lot.

Tamara, the morning after can be rough. I'm glad you are perking up as the day wears on...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi Merme, so nice to have you back.

Good thing there isn't too many morning afters lol it was just so hot, and those lemonade coolers were so refreshing..lesson learned.

Glad you are getting things settled now after your trip.

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Glad you had a fun trip Merme, coming home is always nice though. Tamara, hope you continue to feel better. There are many reasons why I don't drink anymore. I'll have a beer or two every once in a while but not too often. Tina, hope you hear from your friend and I love your tree house! Nana, very busy as always. Forgetting things that were on your list has nothing to do with age. I do that quite often though I am better than I used to be.

I got up around 9:30 this morning, it was 56 degrees and misting a bit so I went for a nice, cool, 5 mile run. I don't know what I'm going to do if it ever gets hot here. I did get the hydration waist pack that I wanted so and I got to try it out. It's surprisingly comfortable and doesn't bounce around at all so at least I can carry water with me. Next weekend I bump up to 6 miles.

Today we're just relaxing. The kids were dropped off at 11 and I made eggs benedict for breakfast, which is Aros's favorite breakfast. Later for dinner Aros and the kids are having popcorn shrimp, imitation crab with melted butter, caesar salad, steak with sauteed mushrooms, and broccoli/cauliflower mix. I told Aros to pick whatever he wanted and I would cook it. We also got a new video camera yesterday so we'll be able to use that for the kids graduation ceremonies. The girls is tomorrow night and Joey's is Tuesday morning. Tuesday is their last day of school.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Cheryl ~ I'm glad your waist hydration unit is comfy & works well. It is important to have a reliable water supply. When I used to walk very long distances, handy water carriers were not readily available so I would buy milk from a certain store which sold it in a small but unusually shaped container. I'd use the milk, wash the jug, and then string it by the handle on my fanny pack! lol I'm so happy you have something better!!

The dinner for Aros & the kids sounds like a good one for Merme & Maxi, too! We'll be right over. It shouldn't take Maxi long to push my chair that far.... haha

Your kids seem to get out from school pretty late. Ours got out last Thursday.

Oh I am in a rare mood for an ice cream (which I usually dislike) or something like a slushie. Now I gotta dig around the cupboard & see if Maxi has any koolaid stashed so I can make something frozen.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I make fake milkshakes. Since I can't have dairy I cut up bananas and freeze them then use the frozen slices in place of ice cream. I add in some cocoa powder to make it chocolate. I haven't tried using vanilla flavoring yet but the coconut milk I bought has a little vanilla in it.

Sure, come on over, that young lad of yours would get you here in no time, lol

Our kids always get out of school late, they get too many days off during the school year which makes it longer.

Last edited by chermoni; Jun 20th, 2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Kids here have school until this Friday coming.

Now I want milkshakes lol

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Ted got out two weeks ago. But he begins 4 weeks of summer session tomorrow. I have cut his hair and nails and he is bathed and clean. Ready to go already. After summer session he has two weeks off then the new year begins On Aug 3rd. That is the earliest they have ever begun here for a traditional school year. He is going to be a high school junior. Not that that matters so much for him. He is such a sweetie. The little love of my life still.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Milkshakes rock. We don't eat fast food very often at all, but Sonic makes a seriously good milkshake. Loaded with calories. I get one probably 2-3 times each week. Hardees milkshake is also excellent. McD's-- not so much by comparison.

Chermoni-- you run 6 miles??????????? Whoa. That's impressive.

Glad you're back Merme, and glad you had a good time. The photos you posted were great.

And to all who have trouble with the winecoolers: Clearly, you need more practice. yikes

Good day today. I got the rest of the melons mulched with straw. This was no small feat. The melon patch was overrun with weeds. Tomorrow it's the sweet potatoes and then on to deal with the celery.

Oh! And John made the most beautiful lemon merangue (how do you spell that?) pie. I made the crust, of course (he's many things but a pastry chef is not one), and it was a real bear to work with. It's made with lard and was as crumbly as any I've ever made. My mom always told me that the more difficult to work with, the better it will be. I've found this to be true. So I will have pie for second breakfast for a few days. Pie & iced coffee. Ahhhhhh.

Tomorrow I'll bake biscuits (with lard-- I love lard) and that will be breakfasts for the next few days.

Tina-- has your company come yet?

[Linked Image]

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
No company. But I am not unhappy. My house is getting more and more in order. I really needed that incentive to begin.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Well Mr. Maxi did not have any kool aid stashed in the cupboard, so I ended up making a slushie with Chardonnay. So, I've been busy crocheting all evening! haha

I mean, really, what's a girl to do?! No koolaid? Not a problem! We have white wine after all!

Marica you are as busy as any farmer I know! I'm glad things are going so well for you.

I too like to bake w/ lots of lard. Fortunately, I do not bake often.

Cheryl I frequently use frozen fruits to make frozen drinks. Maxi is lactose intolerant also so I just dream up yummy things. Have you tried the Almond Breeze yet? It is made by Blue Diamond, the famous nut company, and it is a non-dairy milk replacement made of almonds. It is far less expensive than Lactaid and pretty daggone good. A splash of that in the blender along w/ some frozen fruit & ice cubes... oh man, you got something stirring.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Lard--let me tell you--I have the BEST oatmeal cookie recipe that my grandmother has passed down.
and yes it uses lard and old-fashioned oats.
wonderful cookies & so yummy.
I only allow myself to make it during the christmas holidays---because I could live on them.

________

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
I know what you mean. I promised myself that the whole unpacking from the move was my one last chance in life-- seriously-- to not only get things in order, but to keep things in order.

Beginning last December, family and close friends started coming out to see the farm. I resisted the temptation to just "tuck things away." But I also used visits as incentive to do it right. Each visit is the impetus to accomplish something more or less big. So what if the bedroom still has 6-8 unpacked boxes (and the garage has 20-30 or more, probably way more)? The old linens are now all washed, ironed, and put where they will live the rest of their natural lives. Stuffed animals-- why do we have so many stuffed animals?-- are all living on a couple of shelves in the store room. I have several shelves devoted to "arts & crafts." This comes in handy when people with kids come out. (The real question is why do I at 50+ have so many colored markers and construction paper? Duh. Because I am saving up for grandchildren. That probably explains the stuffed critters, too.)

Next up is the garage which has boxes of glassware. When I was in school, professors would retire and the remains of their labs would be up for grabs. So I have boxes and boxes of flasks and beakers-- great flower vases-- and such. And boxes and boxes of flower pots, and chain saws and who knows what. My goal is to have that done before the fall rainy/hurricane season so we can actually park the truck in the garage!

Thanks for this, Tina! You have helped me re-focus. Even for me it's too hot to work outside after 11 or 12. So this week I should start evaluating and focusing in on the garage.

[Linked Image]

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I have lived in this house for 20 years, But I had a 5 bedroom house that I was moving from. And John already had this house pretty much furnished. So all of my stuff ended up stacked in odd corners and stored here and there. I am spreading my wings and finally moving in, sort of. Life is good.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
good morning everyone.
I tried to go back to sleep, but I was congested so I took a sudafed, as I didnt want to get the sinus infection back--well I knew better but did I listen?? nope.
see, in my "old age" Sudafed now wakes me up. so here I sit, tired but awake.
5pm should be interesting---

anybody else home ???

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'm late getting in Carol, a neighbor called she had a hospital appointment and needed someone to put two children on the bus for her..Ya thinking your sinus troubles might be from allergies?

Marica..how about some pics of your new place grin

Well we were under severe thunderstorm watches all night and only got a few drops of rain why but my it's humid out.

If the rain holds off, I have about 3 to 4 hours of shoveling and leveling to do with topsoil out there. I removed all the decorative cedar rails that bordered my lawn, too many ant hills because of it..now the fun begins to get it all back in shape.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, I am off to start my day...back at lunch time.

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
wavy Just stopping in for a quick hi. I have much to do this morning before leaving for dialysis, so I will have time to visit afterward. Hope to see you all later!

Tam you be careful shoveling in that humidity!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
just dropping in again to say "hi".

I must begin my day as well.--going out to buy DH some work t-shirts.

I'll be back in later to catch up. wavy

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
O.k. it's gonna take longer than 3 to 4 hours, I under estimated..I need a break, whew it's hot out there.

Have a good day all. wavy

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
I'm in for the afternoon. No rain in sight for the next several days, not even an afternoon t-storm, and continued high temps so I figured I'd better soak the bejeepers out of everything. 91* here at noon, "real feel" 109*. I can believe it.

I was pleased to discover that the bermuda hay seems to be working quite well. So I don't think I'll have to water for a week or so. This was not what I had planned to do this morning, but whatever.

Also tended to the celery.

Now to cool off and diddle around before I have lunch, clean the kitchen and bake the biscuits.

Stay cool & safe!

[Linked Image]

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
[Linked Image]

Suzy & some wild flowers.

[Linked Image]

Same flowers but NOTE the two boxes by the entry. They are all of John's & my old record albums from high school. They'll be put away just as soon as I get around to it!!

[Linked Image]

Mondarda fistulosa

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image