Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#322075 Jun 20th, 2010 at 06:28 PM
OP Offline
It is almost spud time!! I just got back from a family trip and found my first potatoe blossom.
[img][IMG]http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab105/washingtonbullet101/DSC02792.jpg[/img][/img]

If not I - Then who?
lol ,I'm so anxious too...mine are popping flowers also clap

I've been watching the buds and caught the 1st 2 open yesterday. By the end of the week they all should be going full tilt...plants are loaded
[Linked Image]

Just keep them watered good (moist) this is the time it's important for the growing tubers(taters) :wink:

....which one to harvest 1st is the ? nervous
[Linked Image]

I think the gravy will be on hold here for our 1st taste, hoping for the golfball sized boiled , butter and salted ....with the skins on ..mmmmmmmm, just like grandmas.
Now im hungry egad

snow

Don't like the weather in Michigan?..wait 30 sec.
snowfarmer #322243 Jun 22nd, 2010 at 05:16 AM
OP Offline
Did you guys get hit by the storm last night?? All six of us were huddled around the crank up radio in the basement at 2:00 AM hoping for the best. No tornado just high winds (it sounded like a train) and rain falling 4" per hour. The storm knocked some of my bigger potatoes plants flat - not broken just pushed over. I will stake back up tonight.

I am taking my first batched camping butter balls and tin foil dinners.

This has been an interesting first year!!!

If not I - Then who?
Snow I definately have tater envy haha

That's an impressive looking soon to be crop! clap

Thanks for posting the pics! Now I know what my plants will look like when they begin flowering! flwr

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

* Crystal *

garden3fairy #322288 Jun 22nd, 2010 at 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by garden3fairy
Snow I definately have tater envy haha

That's an impressive looking soon to be crop! clap

Thanks for posting the pics! Now I know what my plants will look like when they begin flowering! flwr

Thank you, wish I would of filled that maroon one up a little more but ran out of soil and didn't want to put any clay stuff on it.
The littler ones will go 1st and keep the bigger pots for more mature tubers.

Time will tell , the taters have been the highlight of our garden this yr ...hope were not letdown when we harvest....cukes 2nd , both are new adventures for us this yr

WB... no we didn't get the stuff you got . It hit us around 4am, nice little thunderstorm...some good rumblers and a good soaking.
I seen you getting it pretty hard around 2am ...was watching radar.

Ohh yeah baby spuds in foil on the grill mmmm ...don't forget the onions and mushrooms too :wink:

snow

snowfarmer #322299 Jun 22nd, 2010 at 04:48 PM
Snow and WB:
I see you both already have flowers on ur spud plants! Can you tell me about how long ago you planted them? I don't know when to expect my own to flower but my plants are definately younger than the ones you pictured.
Thanks!
Crystal

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

* Crystal *

garden3fairy #322403 Jun 23rd, 2010 at 05:24 AM
OP Offline
Fairy they grow up so quick - seems like only yesterday I was planting the little suckers sniff sniff blush I planted them the last week of May they have really shot up the last couple of weeks.

Snow I would never forget the onions and garlic too!! My wife dose not know it yet but I plan on taking over the flower beds on the garden side of the house as a garlic field this fall.

If not I - Then who?
I would say around the 20th of may .
The seed sets were about 6" from the bottom and I kept filling them as they grew. I reached the top about 2 wks ago and left them to grow from there.

Garlic!! hmmm can those be in a potter over the winter? , I'd love to try garlic.
No way would it make in in clay over the winter.

snow

snowfarmer #322490 Jun 24th, 2010 at 04:45 AM
OP Offline
I asked that question and was told no on the potter. From what the lady at the farmers market told (they have the best garlic) They grow theirs in clay she said that is why it does so well for them. I am planting garlic around the perimeter of my garden this fall - right now its all flower. Im taking substance over form.

If not I - Then who?
oooh garlic huh? sounds like a great idea! I plan on doing some onions this fall (tried a couple months ago but it was too hot and they died) so maybe I'll add garlic to my fall list and join you guys for some garlicy potatos with onions and mushrooms! Tummy rumble! That would go great with a roast!

* Crystal *

garden3fairy #322505 Jun 24th, 2010 at 07:54 AM
OP Offline
What time should I be there!!

I have some onions and scallions in now. I did some from bulbs and some from seed. I dug up one of the bulbs and I am not sure how its going to work out. They have a nice looking green stalk but the bulb was just a mushy old onion. The seed packet said they are bi annual - so Im considering onions an experiment at his point

If not I - Then who?
OP Offline
I planted my spuds last week of April not May egad

If not I - Then who?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image