Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#324984 Jul 17th, 2010 at 05:09 PM
OP Offline
Been pretty busy here lately and WOW it's been HOT!

Just finished moving the daughter into her new home yesterday and tonight the wife and I had a nice fresh garden dinner .

The garden has taken off, cukes have reached the top of the trellis with baby gerkins hanging about. Sharing the green beans with a bunny now rolz, so we have to be quick to pick on him ...think he's winning zoink

We decided to dumped a tater bin over to see if we would have baby spuds, not a bumper crop but we had enough for a nice taste test with or dinner .
Next we managed to get some beans that the bunny left for us , 1 pepper and some little onions the wife chopped up into the mix .

It sure makes you feel good when you grew this and it taste so.... much better than store bought, not to mention if you figure in the cost of "that" meal at the time .

ALL I can say is... YUMMY YUM YUM ,now we wait for the cukes zuke and maters to come in.
We were so in yum over the spuds we decided to make a point to plant more next yr ...these won't last boohoo

Here's a pic of the garden a few days ago and our taste test harvest.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

ALSO...."warning " it might make you hungry ... "the plate" ..mmmmm
bow
[Linked Image]

...can't wait for the next picking :wink:

snow

Don't like the weather in Michigan?..wait 30 sec.
snowfarmer #324992 Jul 17th, 2010 at 08:23 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Yummy. You're potatoes look like mine. I ordered seed potato from Holland Bulbs. Where'd you get yours?

Bestofour #325024 Jul 18th, 2010 at 08:33 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Bestofour
Yummy. You're potatoes look like mine. I ordered seed potato from Holland Bulbs. Where'd you get yours?

We bought ours at Meijers in the garden center.

Wish I could find some now and I would start a 2nd batch, thought of tossing in a store spud and see what happens.
I so want to dump another bin for another taste boohoo

Snow

snowfarmer #325100 Jul 19th, 2010 at 08:18 AM
OP Offline
Cukes will be the next taste. This is them as of yesterday, won't be long before a sample is picked :wink:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

... better get the jars ready for some pickles.

snow

snowfarmer #325128 Jul 19th, 2010 at 12:16 PM
WOW! That meal looked Amazing! Sweet harvest! I think I'm going to try seed potatos next time. I planted my store bought red potato and he's doing ok but I think the seed potatos would do better. We'll see. If u find anywhere that has seed potatos available right now will you let me know? I'd like to plant some for the fall as well.
THANKS!

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

* Crystal *

garden3fairy #325250 Jul 20th, 2010 at 05:20 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by garden3fairy
WOW! That meal looked Amazing! Sweet harvest! I think I'm going to try seed potatos next time. I planted my store bought red potato and he's doing ok but I think the seed potatos would do better. We'll see. If u find anywhere that has seed potatos available right now will you let me know? I'd like to plant some for the fall as well.
THANKS!

Thank's Crystal, I been finding myself cooking more now with a garden to try new things.....and im not back to work yet tapfoot. Funny how you take on food /cooking when your out of work, ...kinda like you want it to be good cause it may be the last nervous . Well.... not to much you can do with Hot Dogs and beans!! haha

I don't think you are going to find seeds this late . Im just going to make a point to go big next spring . We decided we want to atleast dbl our planting next yr... that would be 14 containers zoink

Snow

snowfarmer #325274 Jul 21st, 2010 at 04:29 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Great pics..

For seed potatoes..you can call any Farming store, they'll help you.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #325292 Jul 21st, 2010 at 07:44 AM
I would LOVE to have a veggie garden but there are too many rabbits and deer walking the property. I fear it would be a lost cause. Maybe next year I could fence off a small area to have a veggie plot. Fresh green beans and tomatoes and cukes along with some yellow squash and a pepper plant or two would be lovely. Your garden looks wonderful and your supper looked delicious!!

Sunflowers #325344 Jul 21st, 2010 at 04:38 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by tamara
Great pics..

For seed potatoes..you can call any Farming store, they'll help you.

Hmmmm thanks Tamara, I'll have to pay a visit to the place down the road ...reg farm and nursery.

Thanks debnoel, the bunnys are having a hayday on my beans tapfoot

Just plant extra and share !! lol They can have the beans , just leave the rest alone egad

snow

snowfarmer #325506 Jul 22nd, 2010 at 01:38 PM
Looks awesome Snow!!!! (thanks for the invite tapfoot ) I harvested half my spuds and they were decent some small some large. I planted corn that I started a few weeks back. In 2 weeks I will harvest the balance and compare the two. Then I will plant some beans

If not I - Then who?
OP Offline
Lol WB ...

Well tonight I tried my hand on a meatloaf.

Not just plain ole burger loaf.... nope im trying , venison,antilope w/ bit of pork.A dash of this ,little of that ...some of this ...bake.

Some fresh spuds w/ brown gravy mmm , day 2 on the cuke marinade and green beans .

....another yummy meal from nature :wink:

snow

snowfarmer #325528 Jul 22nd, 2010 at 03:42 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
the seeds potatoes are gone around here. I can't even order them anymore. We've been eating out of the garden too but my squash is done now. I don't have anymore blooms so I'm pretty sure with this heat that's it.

Bestofour #325606 Jul 23rd, 2010 at 05:05 AM
My squash keeps blooming but it do not get any squash. The blooms are pretty any way [img][IMG]http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab105/washingtonbullet101/th_squash.jpg[/img][/img]

If not I - Then who?
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Take a q-tip and pollinate one to another or pluck a male flower(it will have a straight stem behind the flower) and rub it against the female blossom. (The female blossoms are the ones with the fat bulge behind the flower head)

Sunflowers #325669 Jul 23rd, 2010 at 06:23 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by tamara
Take a q-tip and pollinate one to another or pluck a male flower(it will have a straight stem behind the flower) and rub it against the female blossom. (The female blossoms are the ones with the fat bulge behind the flower head)

I'll have to go try that, noticed a few stems and flower on the ground too.
We are starting to get some fruit ..picked 1 , 2 getting real close.

Lots of flowers......maybe the bee's can't find them with the thick leaf cover why

...Dad came over and I gave him a taste of the meatloaf ...He loved it and wants the recipe. So when I write it up I'll share .

Dad is very big into hunting big game ....with just his bow and arrow.
At 68 he still has the go to go on the trips to hunt . He's been all over to hunt deer,elk, bear, boar, turkeys , moose....

So for him to say he wants the recipe ..and he's tasted alot of game dishes. I must of did it right .

Funny he was over for me to help him buy his Hunting lic. online for his up coming hunt...another Antilope hunt. Dad doesn't like computers.... but he's learning.

snow

Bestofour #325692 Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:03 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Garlic, garlic salt & pork are good additions to any lean wild meat.
How did your meat loaf some out???

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #325899 Jul 25th, 2010 at 05:58 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
Garlic, garlic salt & pork are good additions to any lean wild meat.
How did your meat loaf some out???

Yep..it's the blood that gives it the gamie taste. you want to dain as much blood out as possible, marinades and salts is the trick to game meat.

To some the loaf up... it was great . I thought I would get leftovers and after everybody had a taste...helping, it was gone!! zoink

I made a recipe page for it.
Mind you I did most of it by pinch n dash and a little of this..
So the measurements are a estimte. One of the keys is the sweeten it up, watch which bbq sauce you use. If it's a sweet sauce watch the suryup.

On the next one I think some peepers chooped in would give it a nice touch and a dash of cinnamon

[Linked Image]

...our latest..bought the beef and corn, corn was a roadside purchase...so it's fresh :wink: Rest ...our garden goodies grin

HUNGER ALERT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grin
[Linked Image]

snow

snowfarmer #325936 Jul 26th, 2010 at 04:58 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I just cannot eat wild meat, which is a shame..it's in abundance here. I know families around who do not buy one drop off meat from the store..they even trade wild meat for raised meat.

Great 'recipe post' I must add. thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,878
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image