Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#326135 Jul 27th, 2010 at 04:56 PM
mrw Offline OP
OP Offline
I have had my tropical hibiscus for about 5 years. It lives outside all summer, and I bring it into the basement for the winter and water it sparingly. Once outside for the warm weather it does very well and flowers continuously. It is getting very big and although we prune it before bringing it inside we wonder if it is too big for its pot (which is quite large). Can the hibiscus be divided/split, will it benefit from this? I don't want to kill the plant as it is quite nice and does well but I am not sure what is the best way to care for it. We don't want to place it in a larger pot. Thanks for any advice!

wildwoman
mrw #326136 Jul 27th, 2010 at 06:28 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
This next spring I think I would take it out of the pot and check the roots for poor growth. Maybe trim them and knock the older soil off . Then repot in fresh soil in the same happy pot. You want to make sure the roots are not growing in circles (root bound) and it has some room to stretch into the fresh soil offered.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,876
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image