Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#326710 Aug 3rd, 2010 at 03:16 PM
OP Offline
Hi,
I bought 2 Almond trees this spring and one is growing fine the other one looked as tho it were dying. I did see some new growth coming on below the dead part so I let it go. Now the lower part of the tree is growing but the whole top portion of the tree is dead. (All brown and no green coming on anywhere) Should I prune off all the dead part? That will make the tree look as tho there is a big hole in the center with no top. (sort of like cutting too much off the top of your Christmas tree & you have no where to put a tree topper)The rest of the tree looks healthy but I don't want to over prune it. Neither tree flowered this year. I have them planted in large pots right now but plan on transplanting them into the ground later.
I've never had Almond tress before and am not sure what to do for them.
Appreciate any help you can provide!

bb
bluebird #326720 Aug 3rd, 2010 at 05:37 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Do you know if your almond trees are grafted? It could be that the tree part of the graft died and what you have is the rootstock that it was grafted to is growing suckers. In that case you may not have an almond tree at all but a different stone fruit. Are the leaves on the new growth just like the other tree?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #327508 Aug 11th, 2010 at 08:24 PM
OP Offline
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I bought the trees from BiMart a local store. The root ball was wrapped in plastic & looked like a normal growing tree to me, so don't know if it was grafted? The leaves look like the other tree only they are lower on the main trunk. I"ll try to get some photos of the trees & see if I can post them here.
I don't think the branches that have formed leaves are suckers as they are not that low on the trunk. I still have not removed any deadwood from the tree.

bb

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image