Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#327678 Aug 14th, 2010 at 09:57 AM
LauraH Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a diffenbacia that I grew from a cutting a cpl yrs ago. The plant is now over 5 ft tall with big dark green leaves. It looks the picture of health. But..yesterday after I watered it, I noticed the stick I have in it was falling over. I had to untie it (I use cloth strips to tie with) and my poor plant almost doubled over. It is so soft,yet the plant looks to be in good shape. There are no bugs in or on the soil.Can anyone give me any ideas as what to do or look for?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by LauraH; Aug 14th, 2010 at 11:02 AM.
LauraH #327684 Aug 14th, 2010 at 11:02 AM
LauraH Offline OP
OP Offline

LauraH #328432 Aug 22nd, 2010 at 05:12 PM
That is rather strange. So, you are saying that your plant is dependant of the tutor and starts falling over when the tutor is removed?

I discoverd that the plant kinda starts degrading after 3 or 4 years and that you should restart it after that amount of time. This plant needs to be watered as soon as the top layer of soil gets dry. It doesn't like to have it's saucer full of water. So, you should empty it after watering the plant.

If your plant is getting all limp or rotting that means that you are watering it too much and you should use a fingucide. Or, you could let it dry out a bit more to stop the rotting and cut the rotted stems.

It also is a very toxic plant. You should wash your hands after handling it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image