Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#334897 Nov 13th, 2010 at 10:18 AM
OP Offline
Hi everyone-I need help with a Norfolk Island Pine I have had for 23 years-it is getting quite large but every year I put it outside on a covered porch for the summer. I live in Northern Wisconsin. It might have been out a little too long this year but it seemed fine when brought inside in early October. Within about a month though, it now looks funny. First the whole plant seemed to get a grayish cast. It seemed a bit droopy so I went to water it and the soil was quite wet. (Thank my husband for that because he's ALWAYS watering my plants despite my protests that he not touch them!) So i did not water it, I cultivated the soil close to the pot to help it dry out a bit faster but it has continued to droop at the tips, particularly at the top sprout of the plant and the second tier down. These droopy tips are gradually turning brown, seem soft, not dry. I cannot figure out if this is from overwatering by my lovely husband or if this perhaps was damaged from being left on the porch perhaps in a bit too cold of weather. Either way, what do I do? I am quite emotionally attached to this plant having owned it for so long. I have never hurt it before and now I feel terrible. Any suggestions? Can I cut off the tip and the main growth sprout in the center and what would happen if I did? Thanks! [img]http://photo2.walgreens.com/walgree...HR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=walgreens/[/img]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, supergirl. It does sound like your roots may have gotten water logged. My NI pine is outdoors, in the ground and can accept quite a bit of chilling. So that may have been a small factor, but I'm still voting for wet feet. I really don't know a fix for this beside letting it dry quite a bit.
I am not at all sure how trimming the top tiers will affect the looks or the growth. But you will need to trim off the dead parts or let them fall of naturally and see what it does.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image