Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#335908 Nov 26th, 2010 at 09:29 AM
OP Offline
Good morning. I bought this plant a while ago at a farmers market and I've never known what it is. It has green leaves that are purple on the underside. The stems are very sturdy and they kind of twist as they grow out of the soil. It has definitely overgrown it's pot, and it's time to repot. I would also like to split some off into a new pot but I'm not sure how to do it. Can any of you help me identify this plant and offer any care advice for it?

[Linked Image]

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I have that
Blooms tiny purple blooms .. Forgot the name.. It lives on neglect.

Something lik Wondering Jew or something.

dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
OP Offline
I've been searching all morning. I looked up Wondering Jew and I don't think that's it. It looks like that vines and this doesn't vine, it kind of makes a knot of stems. Unless that's maybe just because I haven't trimmed it enough...lol. I found a few pictures of Moses in a Cradle that it looks like, but then it doesn't look like a lot of the other pictures of it. So I'm still not sure! :(

OP Offline
Oh! And I've never seen a bloom on it. It's all leaves and stems. But again, maybe I'm not taking care of it right and that's why I haven't seen blooms. I just water it when the top inch or so of soil gets dry and it's pretty much quadrupled in size in about 9 months.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I say stop worrying just let it grow.

Looks good an healthy.

dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
OP Offline
I'd like to split it and take some to work, but my cubicle gets no sunlight. It gets very little light here, but it does get SOME. I split some of my pothos today to put in a pot for work, maybe I'll just try this one the same way and see if it works!

Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
I have several (and given away plenty of that one. We call it moses in the Bullrushes. Because of the way it flowers. There are purple half moon shaped pods "baskets" out if those pop little white flowers. The baskets are usually close to the stem if your not looking at the plant it is easy to miss seeing them. If you have multiple stems you should be able to split it, or wait till after it flowers and collect the seeds. Its very easy to care for, that why I like them so much.
They are fairly hardy and will grow in most conditions, If it get tall and spindly you can cut it back and see if that helps to thicken it out a bit, though you may not want to cut it back all at once. Choose a few at a time.

When we we're down to Cuba last month the balconies ot the resort had a window box surrounding it just filled with these.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
I think the correct botanical name is Roeo.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
There are so many types and forms of Tradescantia. Roeo is one of them. You definitely have one of them too. Congrats! Try a cutting for work. They are pretty forgiving of lighting situations.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image