Rate Thread
#336761 Dec 7th, 2010 at 05:45 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Today we honored the men who fought and the women who served as a direct result of the attack on Pearl Harbor which then President Roosevelt called "a date which will live in infamy."

Although flags flew at half mast for all those lost on that dreadful day, many heroes were also remembered.

In my family alone, my Uncles Leonard, Sturly, Mickey, Eddie, Len, Guy, and Robert all served. They did the jobs they were given and earned distinction as men & soldiers. Maxi's great-grandfather Edward also served. My first MIL served as an Army Secretary in Washington DC.

Very few men & women vets who served in WWII are still alive today. Only two of the nine I mentioned are still with us. But their stories live on in the deeds they accomplished and in wonderful archives for future generation.

The sinking of the USS Arizona, as tragic as it was, inspired a nation to bring an end to the war in Europe & in the Pacific rim. May her sailors rest in peace & rise in glory.

Last edited by Merme; Dec 7th, 2010 at 06:42 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #336769 Dec 7th, 2010 at 06:24 PM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
May her sailors rest in peace & rise in glory.

I have(had) a neighbor who was on the USS Arizona. It made me cry when he talked about it once...
...he died a few weeks ago.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
afgreyparrot #336806 Dec 7th, 2010 at 10:27 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
My dad (who passed last week) was in WWII--he lied about his age & went in at 17. he would have been 85 this nex
t january

There were 10 living brothers & 2 sisters.

All the boys, but like 2 possibly 3 served.

Grandma told me once that she had more sons in the service than that Mrs Ryan but hey all of Grandma's boys came home, (thankfully)

None in pearl harbor though I must say. We were one fortunate family I will say.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,889
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image