Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#33870 Apr 29th, 2007 at 10:50 AM
campsis Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi, I'm a newbie to the board, but a veteran gardener. I'm trying to create a hedgerow on the west side of my property, some under large red pines, some open area. Can anyone suggest any fast growing, large shrubs (flowering and non-flowering)? I have already planted forsythia, lilacs, alleghany viburnum, red twig dogwood,vicary, pussywillow and some weigiela. I live in zone 6, western New York state. Thanks! Am looking forward to visiting this site. Do a ton of gardening on my one acre property, and am addicted!!!

campsis #33945 Apr 29th, 2007 at 02:56 PM
Campsis, Welcome to the Gardeners Forum. This is a great place to come to learn & share gardening experiences. I pulled out my 31 year old Honeysuckle bushes & put in dwarf burning bushes. I planted these 12 inch plants about 4' apart & want to attract the birds with the berries on the bushes, have the nice dark rich green color for the summer & the beautiful deep red leaf foliage in the fall along with the sturdiness of the plant to hold up in the winter snow. I purchased 10 from a seed catalog & they are planted facing the south in clay soil. I made little wire cages to protect them for now & put some mulch around them to hold the moisture in. They look so tiny now but in another 3 years I expect them to be branched out & hopefully 3 feet tall or more. Happy Gardening :) I hope this will be helpful.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,877
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image