Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
While searching to learn how to grow burdock I saw an old post about eradicating burdock and had to laugh. But REALLY I want to grow some. It is a primary ingredient in a soup that my wife drinks to reduce her cancer.
So if anyone knows how to get some started I would very much appreciate the guidance.
Also any tips on growing daikon (white radish).
Respectfully
jb
in Jacksonville Florida

Yellow: Burdock Root -- Prevention against cancer and constipation

Burdock is a highly regarded root plant and is very popular in Japan. Here are some facts about burdock:

Prevention against cancer and hardening of the arteries.

Helpful for those afflicted with constipation. Among all root vegetables, burdock has the highest fiber content. The fiber content stimulates acidophilus, which makes it very effective in combating constipation. One of the dietary fibers found in burdock is very effective against fungus.
In recent years, and after considerable research, Japanese researchers have found that burdock is amazingly effective for skin care.

Last edited by Bill; Jan 15th, 2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Removed email address

"Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence" (Buddah)
jb in St Johns Fl (south of Jacksonville, NE FL)
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I found this info
Propagation:
Burdock is grown from seed. Sow Burdock seeds in your garden as early as the ground can be worked. Cover seeds with 1/2" to 3/4" of fine garden or seed starting soil. Tamp soil. Water lightly, if the soil is dry.
seedlings germinate quickly, in about 4-7 days.
How to Grow Burdock Plants:
Burdock is easy to grow. It grows readily in the wild, without day human assistance. The attention you provide to it in your garden, will promote bigger, deeper roots, and more plant and seed to harvest. Burdock likes full sun, but will tolerate partial shade.
The soil should be rich, and drain well. The most important characteristic of the soil, should be loose and free of rocks and stones up to a depth of a couple of feet. This allows the roots to grow long and straight.
After seedlings have grown a few inches, thin to 3" apart in rows two feet apart. weed frequently, especially when plants are young.
Keep soil moist. Apply a general purpose fertilizer once a month.
Did you Know? The roots of some varieties of Burdock can grow four feet long. Some plant varieties can grow up to nine feet tall.
Keep flowers and burrs picked, to promote growth of plant and root.
Tip: Fewer leaves allow denser plants and a higher yield. If you are growing Burdock just for the roots, prune some leaves as the plant grows.
Harvesting:
Pick leaves and tender young stems for eating fresh. Cook like spinach.
Roots take a long time to grow, over 100 days. Pick when roots are one to two feet long. Peel and eat raw or cooked. Use in soups, salads, and stir fries.
Insect and Disease:
Insects can be an occasional problem. Treat with insecticide or repellents, as needed.
I believe you will find daikon very similarly grown.
Good luck on your wife's illness and recovery.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
You want to plant and cultivate burdock?? Holy, I spend hours trying to get rid of it in my fields lol

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
OP Offline
Yep I know it's a weed, but we truly believe the soup mentioned has contributed to my wife getting through 6 cycles of intense chemo with almost no side effects and currently being in remision.
I've heard that St Augustine Grass is a weed.
There must be a gardeners adage equivilant to: "ones man's trash another persons treasure".

"Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence" (Buddah)
jb in St Johns Fl (south of Jacksonville, NE FL)
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Most certainly..every plant is usually a weed in someone's neighborhood.

Have you found burdock seeds anywhere?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
stonethegardener
Unregistered
stonethegardener
Unregistered
I have a lady that I garden for that has some burdock growing, she uses the leaves in "flower" arangements...

I wuz fairly astonished to see burdock growing this far south... Macon Georgia...

Not sure it will grow in Florida... but we could certainly give it a try....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image